Talking Point: 2011

8 Conversations

New Year fireworks over London
An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves

- Bill Vaughn
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas

- Anonymous

Well, another year in the bank. We've won some victories and endured some very sad losses. Life trundles on. The human span seems so very short. The Universe, where we live, is 15 billion years old and growing (or shrinking - have they worked that one out yet?). Old father time's been there and bought the t-shirt. There's nothing new under the sun. And yet, to be human is hold a candle up to hope, to keep warmth in our hearts, to strive after happiness. We on H2G2 wish you all our dear fellow humans, Researchers, a most fulfilling, prosperous 2011. May your dreams - some of them at least - bear sweet fruit. And never, ever give up!

  • Go on then, spill the beans, how was 2010 for you? What were the highlights1? The low points?

  • Are you facing 2011 with a bounce in your step or a pit in your stomach?

  • Any good at making predicitons? So far the newspapers for 2011 have got house prices falling, unemployement rising; but what do you think? More protest on the streets? The end of the coalition?

  • Psychologically speaking, what is it about Christmas and tying up loose ends and New Year and forging new beginnings? Surely, in cosmological terms, it's all completely arbitrary. What's going on here? Why do we need dates, ends beginnings?

  • Does anyone make New Year's resolutions anymore? Did you keep yours last year? Will you make any for 2011?

1'Highlight for me was finding a £20 note in an old jacket pocket' - Ed.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A78707668

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more