A Conversation for Principles of Language Testing

Writing Workshop: A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 1

Sol

Entry: Principles of Language Testing. - A775893
Author: Solnushka - U138596

Right, this needs a bit of work yet, so it's the first draft. Now, obviously, you'll see that it has huge numbers of typos and what have you, and sure I welcome help with them, and any other tips on writing style. Really. But I'll be having another look at them myself, anyway.

But I'm most interested in content help.

For those not in the business: is it clear? Has jargon crept in unnoticed? Etc.

For those in the business... help? Anything i've left out or misunderstood? Anything? Help?


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 2

Spiff


Yes, interesting stuff.

I won't comment on the text, really, as you say you'd rather do a re-write yourself first. Some finishing work to be done, there, though. smiley - smiley

Fascinating subject matter and well explained. I think a little more structure and (dare i say itsmiley - biggrin) formatting would really help the reader here.

Great start, anyway. all the best with it. smiley - smiley

cya
spiff


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 3

Sol

Formatting as in more subheading and whathave you, do you mean, or clearer as in 'this is what I'm going to talk about here and it involves this this and this, and here is the first point....', or more connections between paragraphs.

You can critique the writing, but there are probably too many spelling mistakes for you to worry about, and I don't want to bother you smiley - smiley


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 4

Spiff


Well, i guess i tend to find that the subheaders and stuff quite help in terms of grouping ideas.

I guess i think you might use different headers to group ideas together.

I'll have another look and try to be more specific.

smiley - smiley


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 5

Matt_Thac

I'm in the business (for my sins.) It covers the basics (not sure if a little heavy on the details but judging from the others, no.)Possibly you could do follow-ups with specific details on the other exams? Good luck


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 6

xyroth

just a thought, but by removing a few language specific bits this could be turned into a good entry on all types of testing.


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 7

Sol

Ok, so no glaring errors, then... Cheers! smiley - smiley I wanted to keep the details in to make it less of a philosophical discussion, giving some nice concrete examples of how it works in practice... Partly because I find it useful as a teacher of exam classes for students to have some awareness of what the hell is going on with their tests... But I absolutely refuse to go too far into all the refinements, cos I'm sure I'd catch my self out there... Still, I have to have another look at my books anyway, so... You don't think that it's confusing with a whole bunch of different types of (language) test lumped in together?

Regarding the other point, I did think about making it 'principles of testing,' but I don't know anything about the thoretical basis for test design in other subjects,. and I'm having difficulty enough researching this one beyond the small library I have on the subject. I imaguine, too, that trying to broaden it too far would mean that there would be too many exceptions and other refinements which would have to be taken into consideration. But I will add something to the effect that it can apply to other types of test, I think.


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 8

Spiff


For myself, i think there is room for a guide entry limited to *language* testing as compared to *testing* on its own.

Indeed, i think this piece (i haven't re-read it, but as i recall) is ready for PR, if that's where it's headed.

smiley - smiley
spiff


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

smiley - footprints


A775893 - Principles of Language Testing.

Post 10

Sol

Right and that's reminded me that I haven't gotton around to touching this up at all, so I'm taking this out until such time as I do... see you all this time next year, but thanks for the comments: I'll be making use of the for sure...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more