A Conversation for Hampshire Earthwork Castles

A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 21

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Oops. Sorry, I'd completely forgotten I was going to comment on this. I'll do so this evening, once I've had a re-read of it.


A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 22

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

Hi BB, with apologies for the extensive delay, here's my tuppenceworth..

In the introductory paragraphs, you state:
'there are several examples of these in the county of Hampshire.
Although there are examples of earthwork castles throughout Hampshire, very few are actually open to the public.'

Wouldn't it be better to say there are numerous examples, as several implies a smaller number still existing than having examples throughout the County.

In Why build an Earthwork, you state :

'An army besieging a castle nearby would often construct their own earthwork castle for their own defence should they themselves be attacked, possibly by those they were besieging or by allies of those besieged.'

If you have an army, you're very unlikely to be attacked by anything less than another army. The local peasantry had enough sense to stay well away, if they could. Maybe rephrase to something like 'An army besieging a nearby castle would often construct their own earthwork defensive castle, in case of counter attack by the forces of the besieged, or the arrival of their allies.'

In The Anarchy,

'During this time, as Winchester was the political capital of England, much of the fighting took place around Winchester and the surrounding Hampshire countryside. '

This feels a little wordy. Possibly consider rearranging to something along the lines of 'Winchester was the political capital of England at this time, so much of the fighting took place in the surrounding Hampshire Countryside.'


You repeat the point that many Earthworks were siegeworks. In Why build an Earthwork, you give a brief description, then repeat the point in Types of Eathwork, with additional info. Would it be worth expanding on one, and removing the other?

In footnote 1, you say : 'The period of Civil War between 1215-7 between King John and English barons led by Prince Louis of France after King John refused to accept the Magna Carta.'

Would it be more accurate to say either 'after King John repudiated the Magna Carta', or 'after King John refused to accept being bound by the terms of the Magna Carta'.


A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 23

Bluebottle

Good points - changes made to reflect these.

<BB<


A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 24

Bluebottle

Any other comments?

<BB<


A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 25

The H2G2 Editors

If everyone is happy we'll accept this. smiley - ok


A75730386 - Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Post 26

Vip

I am. smiley - ok

smiley - fairy


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 27

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 28

bobstafford

smiley - magic excellent <BB< well donesmiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hampshire Earthwork Castles

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more