Vins de Pays

1 Conversation

Vins de Pays

No matter how you describe them, there’s no getting away from the fact that Vins de Pays taste good – and, at very palatable prices, it’s little wonder that they are fast becoming standard features on the dining tables in Europe.

Wine buffs are like computer-philes – they insist on talking in riddles, almost certainly to keep us ordinary mortals in dark.

But now there’s no longer any reason to know what “ a balanced nose” or “ good legs” mean in order to keep up with the well informed.

For one of the most popular wine around these days needs no special expertise to be appreciated –Vins de Pays.

These are modern, down to earth products, which have achieved the magic combination of being both good on the palate and good on the wallet.

Pronounced “ Van-de pay-ee”, these modern wines are described as having “character and quality, without excessive pretentious.

Gone are the days when reasonable priced wines were referred to as “plonk” by the Brits, “piquette” by the French, “gesöff” by the German and “billigt och blaskigt”by the Swedes.

So, what is Vin de Pays? Simply translated it means “local or regional wine” They have been an established part of French wine making tradition for years. But it was not until 1968 that they were given their own official category and their popularity has increased ever since. Today they are manufactured with modern methods and equipment and according to strictly controlled standards.

They might be single grape wines. Chardonnay or Sauvignon blanc grapes are most famous for whites and Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon for the reds.

The biggest wine district is Languedoc-Roussillon, producing 70% of Vins de Pays.


Salut et à votre santé!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A75566

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more