One Man's Woodcraft: Musings on Craft

0 Conversations

Musings on Crafts

There is a need within us to connect with the earth, to connect with nature.

We are creative. Yes – all of us, in some form, to some degree.

Woodcraft is one of those things that has come down to us from our very beginnings, along with painting, claycraft (pottery, sculpture) and later stonecraft and then, well, pick your own.

I venture to assert that these things will not die out despite attempts by manufacturing industry to replicate (the best of?) what has gone before.

These things, along with a myriad of other crafts, will go down into history as they have come down to us.

Are you in doubt of this?

"But", you say. But, what about rocket science, what about brain surgery?

No arguments from here on that score but I'm not fitted out for things of that sort. My gifts are of the more mundane variety – just like the rest of us – and I enjoy using what I have to make the things I do.

The most satisfying things you can do (excluding that – it's too short-lived) involve coordination between brain, eye and hand – inception, design, planning and using learned skills to achieve a finished product.

The gifts you've been given reflect no credit on you. What matters is what you do with what you've got.

Articles by Rod Archive

Rod

04.10.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A74908777

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more