Sydney Meet, April 2002

0 Conversations

A great sense of anticipation lay over Sydney like one of the more attractive cloud formations on Saturday 13th April. The big day had finally arrived and, in many housholds, a frenzy of preparation was happening. Travel arrangements had been made for our international friends as well as for those more local. Provisions had been organised and the pub instructed to stock up on red wine and smiley - ale.

From all directions and by various modes of transport,we began arriving at The Carlisle Castle, a modest but friendly establishment that we had frequented before. Shrillian earned our respect for ferrying not only Cheesecakethulu (with the cheesecake) and Pond Rat, but also Amy the Paper Lady, attending thanks to the wonders of modern technology.

Feisor arrived, having braved the wilds of Newtown on foot,from the train station, bearing not only 'the bag' but also cheese and crackers.

Linus arrived with wife and child in tow, treated them to lunch in the bistro, then let them go home so he could indulge in some serious drinking. I arrived also by foot, having been waved off by my husband and children with the vague promise to be home by dinner (hah).

By 2.30 we had all arrived and established a base in the quieter section of the pub (scaring off a young house-hunting couple who strayed in to seek consolation and found us instead) and began to get to know everyone.

Along the way, Cheesecakethulu showed us her towel, Pond Rat and Shrillian shared strawberry cheesecake, and Amy and LÒÒny were the souls of discretion. A rousing discussion about many things ensued, enabled by copious amounts of red wine, beer and whatever exotic drinks Shrillian and Cheesecakethulu were knocking back.

Sadly, there were some absences, expected and unexpected, Tashalls had been going to try to drop in but just couldn't make it, Princess Buttercup(SMOB) was unwell and we all send oursmiley - hugs to her. Even King Cuthulu had secret plans to make a flying royal visit, but was unable to co-ordinate his frantic schedule and we hope that he will next time.

At about 7.30, Shrillian, who had a prior engagement, finally managed to tear herself away, and perforce Pond Rat and Cheescakethulu went as well. Needless to say that I didn't make it home for dinner, as Linus, Feisor and myself sat drinking and talking and playing the jukebox until very late indeed. As we sat talking, we spied an elderly gentleman sitting in the corner and reading by himself, so we bailed him up, poured him a red and extolled the virtues of h2g2 so much that he was going to give it a go, so if a new researcher called Fred Nurk comes on line, say G'day.

Feisor departed in a taxi at about 10.30 and Linus, like the gentleman he is, walked me halfway home before finding his way to another pub for a rugby function that had started at 9pm.

It seemed to me that everybody had a good time and enjoyed themselves so much that the talk on the threads is how soon can we organise the next one?

So come on, who's game to attend? Feisor is taking bookings...

More Incriminating Photographs


Platypus

25.04.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A736184

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more