The Friday Rock Show

0 Conversations

Sometimes the radio is more than just a friend. With BBC Radio 1's The Friday Rock Show, the radio became a way of life.

Hosted by the incredible Tommy Vance (graduate of the Caroline / Radio London school of pirate DJs), the show grabbed the ears from the beginning. The theme music was Dixie Dregs' Take It Off The Top, which could have been made for the job - it fit this show as well as The Chain fit motor racing.

Some DJs might have been tempted to come up with a catchy name for a show. Not Vance. It was a rock show, it was on Friday - the name did not require a million pound consultants' fee1.

As with most BBC programmes of the time (1970s / 1980s) live sessions played a prominent role. Many bands appeared on the show, including special recordings at the Reading Festival (notably Hawkwind and Ian Gillan). The music was loud and heavy, the perfect antidote to plastic pop.

1Gratuitous reference to idiocy of Post Office management

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A724655

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more