A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

Devon in Scotland

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

On a recent trip to Scotland, while driving east of Stirling I came across an area with a numbe of "Devon" placenames, such as Glendevon, Crook of Devon, and Devonside.

These are all linked to the Devon river in Clackmannanshire.

It appeared odd seeing all these Devon references in Bonnie Scotland. Incidentally Wikipedia given the Gaelic equivalent for the river name as "Duibhe".

Nearby were a few other glorious placenames, such as "Pool of Muckhart".


Devon in Scotland

Post 2

Plym Exile

The Glendevon region is not the only area of Scotland where placenames (or placename elements) familiar to Devonians can be found. For instance on a trip to the Island of Mull, I was surprised to find the name 'Pennycross' (a well known district of Plymouth), and numerous 'Tor' names pertaining to granite outcrops, except that on Mull the spelling was 'Torr'.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more