A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

The Shire of the Sea Kings

Post 1

Ozzie Exile

I came across the following intriguing reference under the generic title of ForgottenBooks.

I gave not heard of Penhalte Cayre before. Has anybody else?

" Exeter, the Capital of the West.
The Ever Faithful City of the Red Mound.

IT is certainly not in any way surprising that at least three generations of British and American travellers have frankly acknowledged the claims of Devonshire's historic capital to rank as one of the pleasantest and most picturesque places of pilgrimage to be found within the length and breadth of the British In the dim ages which preceded the dawn of Christianity under the Celtic designation of Penhalte Cayre, the Exe and its tributaries already encircled a primitive aggregation of dwellings described by Geoffrey of Monmouth* **as a city walled and of the Isles.

An Old Map of Exeter. From a rare Print. ""Historic Towns," by Edward A. Freeman, London, IQOI, p. 10."

This seems to be an early 20th century publication, republished by the GreT Western Railay Company.


The Shire of the Sea Kings

Post 2

Plym Exile

I must admit that I've never heard of "Penhalte Cayre" either. I can only assume that it could be some archaic spelling of the Brythonic (Welsh equivalent: Pen hallt Caer), Literally meaning 'end of salt city'. So it could refer to the city at the end of the tidal reach, which would define Exeter quite well.


Key: Complain about this post

The Shire of the Sea Kings

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more