A Conversation for CELTIC DEVON

Devon migration to South Wales

Post 1

Ozzie Exile


It appears that there have been a number of migrations from Devon to South Wales.

According to the following link, there was a migration from Teignmouth to Tenby in the 17th Century, which helped rebuild that town (refer Angela Marks' posting)

There was also a migration of people from North Devon in the mid 1850's.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DEVON/2012-03/1331424385

The earlier migration is perhaps the most surprising, as it is a much greater distance, and fishermen rather than miners from worked out tin and copper mines.


"....and not just Wales, but the world

Post 2

Ozzie Exile

The following site gives some possible reasons why Devonian fishermen migrated in the 1600's ( refer earlier posting).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/england/devon/article_1.shtml

It appears that Devonians had a long history of fishing (and basing themselves) in other countries. In the 1600's politics and economics may well have been the reason for a diaspora of Devonians to Wales, Ireland, Newfoundland ..and beyond.

In the 1850's they were followed by many from the mining industry.


Key: Complain about this post

Devon migration to South Wales

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more