Use of the Subjunctive Mood in Modern English

1 Conversation


The subjunctive mood is a little-known, commonly used facet of the English language that has been on the decline, even in literary and academic circles, for several decades.


How is the subjunctive conjugated?


The subjunctive mood is conjugated as follows in English:


For the present tense, always use the infinitive*. This includes helping verbs such as be, do, and have. (if I be ; he says she be; hope he have; if he do)


For the past tense, always use the plural past tense. (if she were; wish they were)


For the future tense, conjugate as usual. (if she shall be; if they will have)


When should the subjunctive be used?


The primary use of the subjunctive in English is false conditions. That is, a subjunctive verb should be used in situations where the verb's action is assumed to not occur.


In the sentence ";I wish I were a dog," it is clear that the speaker is not a dog. Therefore she has used the subjunctive "were" instead of the ordinary "was"


The following words indicate a false condition and therefore a subjunctive verb: if, wish, hope. In some cases, the subjunctive may be used with think, but never with know.


(If it were so, . . .. I wish it were so. I hope it be so. I thought it were so / I thought it was so. I know it is so.)

In cases with if and think or if and say, use the subjunctive: "If I thought it were so. . .."



English also uses the subjunctive in cases of indirect quotation. That is, a subjunctive verb should be used when telling what someone said without a quote.


(I say he be nice. They say he do lawns. I tell you he have no money.)


Decline of the subjunctive


English has been losing its inflection for many centuries. It no longer has any fully conjugated verbs or fully declined nouns. The subjunctive seems the next likely casualty of this trend toward simplification.


The indirect-quotation use of the subjunctive has already been discarded by the vast majority of writers and speakers, and the false-condition use is used less and less in speech.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A7002974

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more