The Irish Leaving Certificate

0 Conversations


There are three separate programmes, called 'orientations', within the Leaving Certificate framework.


The Established Leaving Certificate is the most academically inclined of the three, and the most commonly taken. This is the course on which I will focus here.


The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme includes five to seven subjects from the Established Programme. One must be Irish, one must be a foreign language, and two must be practical1 subjects. In addition, there are modules which focus on work-related skills.


The Leaving Certificate Applied course is almost entirely work-related. A student from this programme cannot proceed directly to university.

The Established Leaving Certificate


The Leaving Cert., as it is known, is an examination given in Ireland, mainly to students in the final year of secondary school (17- and 18-year-olds). It bears some similarity of purpose to the British A-Levels, but it is more broadly based, with six or seven subjects normally taken. Because of its wider range, the course material is somewhere between the A-Levels and the GCSEs. The exam serves the purposes of matriculation from secondary school
(hence 'leaving') and entrance to third level.

Matriculation


For the purpose of matriculating, or graduating, from secondary, three subjects are required of most students. These are English, Irish, and Maths. For students whose primary education has been conducted outside the state, the Irish requirement is waived. A further three subjects must be taken, with a total of six; seven is more common for reasons discussed below.

Third Level Entry


The Leaving Cert. is, in most cases, the sole factor determining entry to an Irish third-level course.
There are subject requirements, some of which apply to universities across the board, and some which apply only to specific areas of study or courses. There are also points requirements, which vary according to the popularity of a course.

General Requirements


Most universities in Ireland require a 'pass' grade in English, Irish, and Maths, along with a foreign language. The languages most commonly offered in schools are French and German; Spanish is gaining ground, while exams in Italian and Arabic are also available. Foundation-level Maths is not accepted for most courses; neither is Foundation Irish. A 'pass' in three other subjects is normally required. If a grade lower than a D3 is scored in any exam, it is marked a 'fail'.


For second-level students who do not have to take Irish, and are applying for a National University of Ireland2 course, it is necessary to send a copy of the exemption form with a letter of application and your CAO number (usually distributed mid-March) to the NUI, which has Irish as a subject requirement. Trinity College Dublin does not require Irish, though Irish can be used to fulfill its language requirement.

Important: English, Irish, Maths, and a foreign language are the only subjects a student has to take. The other choices are entirely up to the student. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Choosing a wide range of subjects is a good idea, because most students entering fifth year don't know what they want to do after school. However, it is not necessary to cover all areas.

Course-Specific Requirements


Many courses have more specific requirements in addition to these basic ones. For example, general science courses require Honours in two laboratory sciences or a science and Honours Maths. In most cases, Geography does not count as a lab science. Engineering courses require Honours Maths. Language courses normally require an Honours in the relevant language, unless the language is not widely taken in school. Teacher training courses (for primary school teachers) require Honours Irish. If a grade lower than C3 is scored in an Honours paper, it no longer counts as Honours.


Some courses have an entry requirement not based on grades in the Leaving Cert. Art courses judge the applicants' portfolios. Music courses and some drama courses require an audition.


Because of these course requirements, it is good to have an idea of what you want to do in third level when you are choosing your subjects for Senior Cycle. Most of us are not this lucky. Choose what you are good at and enjoy, then find out what courses those subjects entitle you to take. The Irish Times supplements published on Tuesdays in August and January are invaluable for this purpose, as they have subject and points charts for every degree, diploma, and certificate course in the country.

Points


The other aspect of third level entry in Ireland is points scores. An A1 in an Honours exam is worth 100 points. The other grades are as follows:

Leaving GradeHigher LevelOrdinary Level
A110060
A29050
B18545
B28040
B37535
C17030
C26525
C36020
D15515
D25010
D3455


The University of Limerick gives extra points for Honours Maths: an A1 rises to 140 points. Extra points are awarded by the state if the entire exam is taken through Irish. Be warned: several students who have taken the Leaving Cert through Irish believe their marks were reduced because the examiner's Irish was not good enough to understand their answers. Also, the exams in Irish may be badly phrased, so that it is difficult to know what answers to give.


Total points are calculated from your best six subjects, the highest possible score being six hundred. This is the reason for taking a seventh or, as is practiced in some schools, an eighth subject. Many students are weak in at least one of the required subjects, so their extra subject is counted for points purposes.


The number of points required for a course depends entirely on supply and demand. If there are plenty of places on the course you're applying to, and only a few 'qualified applicants'3, the points will be those of the qualified applicant with the lowest points. For most courses there is more competition than this. If there are 20 places on the course and 40 qualified applicants, the CAO will select those with the top 20 points scores. Of those 20, some will probably have qualified for a course higher on their list of preferences, in which case the CAO will drop down to the next few applicants. If some of those chosen do not accept the offer, the points drop further in the second round.


The points for a given course fluctuate, as the number of students who want to take the course varies. However, for most courses and subject areas, there is a normal range. Degree courses for a subject generally require higher points than diplomas or certificates. As a rule, there is more demand for arts courses, so the points are higher. Science degree courses are generally around 400 points. History courses are higher, at around 500. The highest are law and veterinary medicine degree courses in Trinity, at about 600. Again, the Irish Times and the Irish Independent are excellent sources of information on points.

A520859
1Practical subjects include home economics, woodworking, engineering, technical graphics, and business.2The National University of Ireland, composed of universities in Cork, Galway, Maynooth, and Dublin (UCD)3ie, people who fill the subject requirements

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A696611

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more