Nearly Bourbon Chocolate Creme Biscuits - Recipe

2 Conversations


According to the Edited Guide, some H2G2 researchers believe the 'chocolate bourbon cream' to be 'the single most perfect object known to man'. The Bourbon cream - familiarly known as just 'Bourbon', probably because each is stamped with the word Bourbon - was first produced in 1910 by the Bermondsey biscuit company.

That said, and supply sometimes failing to meet demand, here is a passable homemade version:

Nearly Bourbon Biscuits

INGREDIENTS - makes 14-16:

  • 1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g high quality butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup (4 tbsp or 6 tsp) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
  • 1 tbsp (3 tsp) golden syrup (a reasonable substitute would be a light corn syrup)
  • 1 cup (110 g) All purpose (plain) flour
  • 15 g high quality cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
  • flour for surface while rolling out the dough
  • Lard, vegetable shortening, or butter for greasing (in order of preference)
  • Filling:


    2/3 cup (75 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)

    1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g really high quality butter or margarine

    1 tbsp high quality cocoa powder

    1 tsp coffee essence or cold-brewed coffee syrup (desperate substitute: 1/2 tsp spoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tsp water)

    INSTRUCTIONS


    The Biscuit parts:

    1. Heat the oven to warm, Gas 3, 160°C.

    2. Prepare a baking sheet by covering the bottom with greased parchment paper.

    3. Cream butter and sugar together very thoroughly.

    4. Beat in the syrup.

    5. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking soda together.

    6. Work the powder Mixture into the creamed mixture to make a stiff paste.

    7. Knead well, and roll out on a lightly floured surface about 5 mm thick.

    8. Cut into two 6 cm fingers.

    9. Place on a greased baking sheet covered with greased greaseproof paper.

    10. Dock the dough (pierce with a docking roller, skewer, or fork) every half-inch. (Helps prevent cracking during baking)

    11. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

    12. Let cool for one minute.

    13. Cut, while still warm, into 28 to 32 identical, rectangular fingers.

    The Filling part:


    1. Sift the icing sugar.

    2. Beat the fat until soft, add the sugar, cocoa, and coffee.

    3. Beat until smooth.

    Assembling the biscuits:


    1. Carefully remove the fingers to a cutting board or work surface.

    2. Keep the 'docked' sides out for a more attractive biscuit.

    3. Slather the surface of half the fingers evenly with a layer of the filling.

    4. Cover with an unslathered finger and press lightly.

    5. If necessary, warm them up enough for the cream filling to soften so that they settle in and adhere.


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A69533832

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more