'The Tribe' - the Television Series

1 Conversation

The Tribe is a television series created as a joint venture between a New Zealand television studio, Cloud 9 and Britain's Channel 51. The premise is simple: the adults have been wiped out by a virus, leaving the children to fend for themselves, form a new society, and find an antidote before they grow old enough to be susceptible themselves. Cue children running around with silly clothes and sillier face paints, finding time in between moaning about the usual teenage (or pre-teen) traumas to carve out a new world.


The action centres around one particular tribe - as the new, family-like gangs of children have taken to labelling themselves - the Mall Rats, so called because they inhabit the city's mall.


The brainchild of Raymond Thompson, the Tribe aims to portray a rich world, where children struggle to get along in a world that is dark, dangerous, but ultimately filled with people just trying to survive the best they can. Whilst the epidemic has occurred recently enough that the children still remember how the world was before, and have not totally abandoned the lessons learnt from the time before, the way it is constructed obviously places the children in situations in which they would not otherwise find themselves. The struggles they face range from the contemporary (puberty, bulimia, sex) to the stone-age (finding food and shelter) to the futuristic (discovering just what caused the virus that killed their parents) to the just plain weird (what to do when a strange cult worshipping your baby takes over the world). Whilst the difficulties they face may often be recognisable, the Tribe never preaches, and the responses they have to problems often have more to do with human nature and a survival instinct than any deep sense of morality.

The Plot


The series begins soon (though we never know just how soon) after the arrival of the virus. It appears that the virus took over very quickly, taking the government of the time by surprise, and by the time the action starts the adults have all (we must assume) died. The only glimpses of the adults we get are in a brief flashback of Trudy's, and the evacuation message read by the newsreader in the opening credits. We soon discover a world of fear, violence, incomprehension and savagery.

The first series deals principally with the struggle to create a new society - first at the tribal level, with the formation of the mall-rats, and next at a city-wide level, with the first tribal gathering at which the different tribes that have arisen share their new cultures, skills and needs, and attempt to stake out their brave new world. Babies are born; people grow ill, and sometimes get better; tribes and formed, and destroyed; wars are declared; and just occasionally peace breaks out. By the end of the series, however, the biggest enemy of the children - the virus that killed their parents - takes centre stage, and the race is on to find a cure before they all grow old enough to be susceptible.

In the second series, it seems to be looking up for all the tribes, and slowly a new society seems to be taking shape. Trade is happening between the tribes, with a new currency established (led, of course, by our intrepid Mall Rats). There is a (mostly) unbiased newspaper established, and even a fair court is created: on the whole things seem to be settling down.


Just when everything seems to be going swell (especially for the Mall Rats who appear to have fallen on their feet), a new threat arrives in the form of the sinister, religious Chosen. Following the Guardian, the chosen seem to have an unstoppable army of brainwashed followers, and soon they have taken over the whole city.

Series three sees the struggle to overthrow the Chosen continue, and the kids trying to come to terms with what is happening. The lure of a regimented, comprehensive system seems attractive to many, and the question of whether the Chosen have the right idea, just the wrong way of doing things plays an important part in the series. Justice, too, and how one treats one's oppressors if the tables ever turn, and how to continue living and let go of the past are central themes of this series.


If you weren't already convinced of the makers' insanity, the fourth series is sure to leave you with no doubts. It brings a new tribe, the Technos, who (literally) fly in armed with an impressive technological capability, including medicine, wristband mounted zappers, and advanced virtual reality gear. Seemingly intent upon enslaving the whole city, the Technos quickly assert their indisputably upper hand, and it soon become clear that overcoming the latest threat won't be an easy task for our band of merry children.

Location

The Country


The makers of the Tribe have gone out of the way not to specify where the action of the series takes place. Often this fails horribly - the cast often either end up sounding like they are trying to put on American accents but just can't manage it, or fail completely to hide their New Zealand accents - but it's all part of the rough-around-the-edges fun that is the show. Sometimes, this ends up being simply muddled - in the first series notes in Pounds Sterling are seem, though later they get around this by inventing and forging their own new currency, conveniently forgetting that the coinage that had been around before the disaster probably hasn't been destroyed quite yet.


Whilst they never refer to places by name (or only by tribe-names like 'Eagle Mountain'), often the stunning scenery that forms the backdrop to the show reminds you of where it is filmed, and makes it hard to allow your imagination fully to take hold.

The City


The action occurs in and around an unnamed city (it is, in fact, filmed in Wellington). The city is fairly desolate, empty, and dirty. There are seemingly everlasting trash-can fires, and stray cats that suspiciously never seem to wander far from a particular kerb. It isn't clear how large the city is supposed to be, but it is small enough to leave fairly swiftly on foot, and large enough that it fills the view looking back from the hills around.

The Mall


The set for the Phoenix Mall, created specifically for the show, was (perhaps still is) the biggest is the Southern hemisphere. Early in the first series the majority of the central characters take refuge in the mall, and, well, never leave. Decked out with a number of security devices to protect its entrance by its previously sole occupant, Jack, the mall seems to be one of the safest places to be in the city, even for our (largely) peace-loving heroes.

Shades of Grey


One of the great strengths of the show is that, whilst some of the characters seem whiter-than-white, always seeking to do the morally right thing, the world of the Tribe is by no means inhabited by clearly defined heroes and villains, but confused, hormonal, and ultimately fickle kids. Whilst allegiances change, friends become enemies, and we realise that those oppressing the Mall Rats may be doing so with the best of intentions, in the end we have to admit that that's just what people are like.

The Main Tribes


It is never made clear just how many tribes (or, indeed, children) there are about, but presumably within the city itself there are at least dozens, maybe hundreds of different tribes. Whilst there are many smaller parts for characters with no clear affiliation to a particular tribe, the majority of regular characters belong to a small number of named tribes. Whilst children do leave tribes, or change their support from one to another, this is a rare enough occurrence to be notable and generally a very serious thing.

The Mall-Rats


Pacifistic, democratic, and aggravatingly goody-goody, the Mall-Rats formed as a reaction to the chaos on the streets of the city. Hoping to protect themselves from the other tribes which had made many areas of the city unsafe for all but the meanest of children, they formed their own tribe in the hope of creating a new, better society, ruled by ethical principles, rather than might, for the benefit of all. In short, they were the fat and the nerdy kids who decided to stand up to the bullies!

The Locusts


aka the Locos. Led by Zoot and Ebony, the Locusts are the book-burning anarchists that dominate the city in the first series. Whilst the Mall Rats are busily trying to form a whole new world, the Locusts are busy chanting 'Power and Chaos!' and terrorising the streets. Getting around in style, driving around in a beaten-up car (with Zoot and Ebony sticking out through the sun-roof), escorted by their roller-blading wouldn't-fit-in-the-car excess of devotees, this Tribe strikes fear into the hearts of any kids that hear their sirens approaching.

The Demon-Dogs


Sworn enemies of the Locusts, when the demon dogs are busy fighting Zoot, Ebony and their gang, they can most often be found lazying about in a warehouse, drunk. With far less organisation or direction than the Locos, the Demon-Dogs present slightly less of a threat to the city in general, but you still certainly wouldn't want to run into a member of this tribe in a dark alley late at night!

The Chosen


The Chosen, led by the charismatic, enigmatic, autocratic Guardian, are a fundamentalist religious tribe / cult, who worship Zoot whom they have elevated to the rank of god. As persuasive as the scientologists, and just as scary, they soon count a substantial portion of the city as followers. Efficient, ambitious and with a narrow, unwavering focus, they soon establish detailed plans for how the city should be run. In a way, they too are after a peace, of sorts, but it is clear that the wishes of those benefitting from such a pax-electorum are not going to be of interest to the people supplying it.

The Mosquitoes


The Mosquitoes is an all-female, almost feminist tribe. Led by Moz, their strong - in terms of brawn as well as will - leader, they wear lots of black and tea-strainers arranged as headwear intended to resemble bug-eyes. In the end, however, Moz is out for herself, and the tribe matters only so long as it is opening avenues of power for her: any other glimpses of influence, and she'll forget about them before you can say 'Bzz bzz'.

The Eco Tribe


aka the Gaians. Hidden away, deep in the forest, the Eco Tribe have gone back to nature in response the collapse of civilisation. Experts in sneaking around undetected, it is said that nobody find the Eco Tribe without them wanting to. Generally able to take care of themselves, through necessity, they are a force to be reckoned with, and a useful ally, if they can be persuaded that something needs fighting for, and is worth abandoning their security and secrecy for.

The Technos


Whilst the Technos vehemently deny that they are a tribe, disdaining what they see as a childish, rabble's game, their structure, whilst perhaps more rigid is very similar to that of a tribe. They wear (skin-tight) uniforms, and a face-paint 'T' insignia, that whilst more regulated than the war-paint worn by other tribes, is just as distinctive as those of other tribes, and as clearly marks them out as a member of the tribe as, for example, the Mosquitoes' wire head-dresses.

The Main Characters

The Tribe has a relatively high turnover of main characters (though not exceeding so, compared to, say, soap operas), but for the most part the action is restricted to these characters, and it is rare for characters without recurring appearances to have an important impact on the events that unfold. This list, therefore, is by no means exhaustive.


Bray (Dwayne Cameron)


Starting off dark, mysterious, and seemingly untrustworthy, everybody (but Lex) seems to trust Bray immediately. Then, if they're female, they fall in love with him. Bray is always trying to do the right thing by those around him, often to an annoying degree. A natural leader, it's generally down to Bray (and his current squeeze) to formulate the next plan-of-action, which as a rule turns out to be excessively altruistic and self-sacrificing, logical, and ultimately ineffective.


Amber (Beth Allen)


Strong, beautiful and with a slightly naïve, but ultimately virtuous sense of how the new world should be, Amber decided not to leave the city with Dal because she felt they had to look after the poor little kiddies. A born mother, fighter, diplomat and leader, Amber is largely responsible for the strength and unity of the Mall-Rats, giving the timid courage, and pulling the more strongly opinionated back into line when they stray from the tribe's chosen course. A survivor, Amber is often down, but never out, returning even when you really thought she was gone for good.


Dal (Ashwath Sundarasen)


Wise beyond his years, Dal was planning to leave the city with Amber, and set up a modest farm, away from the chaos created by the collapse of civilisation. Initially angry at being robbed of his dream by a group of kids to whom he feels no sense of responsibility, he soon becomes an integral member of the mall-rats, often teaming up with Jack to achieve a vital task, be that scavenging for food or medicine, or creating a trap for their enemies.


Trudy (Antonia Prebble)


One of the most complex, and therefore interesting, of the characters, Trudy juggles many rôles in the programme. She is a mother, lover, orphaned daughter, tribe-member, and, simply, a teenage girl. Trudy's desire to secure a place for herself (and her baby) in a new, terrifying society, and just to be loved, force her to enter unexpected, often disastrous relationships and allegiances, and more than once she finds herself having to choose between protecting her own interests and those of her friends. The show deals with these choices in a sophisticated way, and rather than simple 'loyalty: good, selfishness: bad' messages, we are presented with an honest world where concern about one's own interests is never totally unreasonable and self-preservation isn't just necessary, but encouraged.


Salene (Victoria Spence)


Salene changes a great deal in reaction to the events that have befallen her. She starts the series as a frightened child, forced to protect Cloe, Patsy and Paul because they are younger her, but never quite comprehending just what has been forced upon her. She soon, however, is forced to grow up far more rapidly than is healthy, and in a way lives through the whole of a girl's teenage years in the course of just one. This plays itself out in a variety of fears, battles, hopes and loves, and there is never any suggestions that she will simply cope with whatever is thrown at her.


Ryan (Ryan Runciman)


Stupid, but loyal and caring, Ryan represents the potential for brawn to overcome intelligence. It is never clear whether Ryan's failure to take any power which he could is down to Lex's constant manipulation of him, or whether he really does hide a good heart - but there are certainly indications that he has no intention of allowing the world to become a cruel and uncaring place, instead going out of his way to help others, even when it is not in his best interest, or frequently theirs.


Lex (Caleb Ross)


Tough, arrogant, selfish and heartless, Lex is only out for himself, and doesn't care who knows it. He finds himself a member of the Mall-Rats only as the better option to being thrown out to the Dogs and Locusts outside, and it is a long time before he is truly welcomed into the group. Never truly earning trust, Lex is always trying to find ways of cutting a good deal for himself, even if it means selling out his tribe, tempered only by his (seemingly insatiable) love of women, each who tries to tame him, and who, whilst always partially succeeding, never really reform him.


Zandra (Amy Morrison)


Innocent, naïve, and never really facing up to what has happened, Zandra could never have survived if she were not to have allied herself with Lex and Ryan. Beyond this bond, however, there is no similarity to her male companions: she is more obsessed with her clothes and hair than seizing power or making 'money'. Zandra is fickle, silly, rash - essentially young - and whilst always eager to claim that she is different from the younger children she always ends up grouped with, her main argument seems to be that they have no idea about nail polish, rather than anything indicative of maturity.


Cloe (Jaimee Kaire-Gataulu)


Cloe is another of the younger children forced to grow up far too fast, always eager to prove that she can play with the big kids and doesn't need babysitting. Cloe tends to need babysitting. She will get herself into scrapes, not through any great idiocy, but simply thoughtlessness, adopting a goat, for example, even if there is nowhere safe for it to graze. Later, however, Cloe proves herself, and though the path to her becoming a woman is not smooth, you get the feeling there's no chance of that in the world of The Tribe, and that she's doing as good a job as can be expected of her.


Jack (Michael Wesley-Smith)


A proud geek, Jack is never happier than when he is tinkering with some contraption or electronic component. A misfit who find himself ideally suited to a new world where his skills no longer place him firmly at the edge of society, ostracised by his peers, but instead a vital member of a new community. There is a definite tension between Jack's desire to rebuild many of the creature comforts from the old world and the push to create a new society, no longer so reliant on machinery and technical wizardry without which everyone is lost.


Tai-San (Michelle Ang)


Zany, spiritual and with a real hint of arrogance and stubbornness, it is Tai-San who attends to the Mall Rats religious / spiritual / pop-psychological needs. For any occasion, she has a ritual to be performed, for any problem, she has sagely advice. The Mall Rats depend on Tai-San in many ways, and sometimes perhaps too much - frequently she seems to have her own agenda, whether that be to seduce anyone she is attracted to, to ensure that nobody could ever take her place, or just to look good!


KC (Ari Boyland)


A cheeky, but lovable (aren't they always) rogue, KC is always looking for the next scam. There's a very real feeling that if any of the girls were ever to think of him as anything other than a friend (and a bit of a joke, at that) he would be instantly transformed. It's just a pity that that isn't ever going to happen. KC can, however, be relied upon to play his part in whatever the latest wacky scheme the Mall-Rats have put into action is, and more than once has risked everything to protect his friends.


Patsy (Sarah Major)


Patsy, another younger member of our intrepid band, finds herself the only one able to understand her deaf brother's sign-language, and thus responsible for him. Not yet able to think long-term to any degree, Patsy is generally more concerned about the source of the next meal than the safety of her new friends. Rather too easily persuaded, Patsy's allegiances occasionally switch dramatically, though, in the end, she usually finds her way back to those who have supported her.


Paul (Zachary Best)


Profoundly deaf Paul never lets his disability hamper him, and he's always at the centre of the crazy scrapes that his sister, Patsy, and her friend Cloe always find themselves in. Paul's (almost) super-power is his acute ability to sense vibrations, and he is frequently better at detecting intruders than the rest of the bunch (whose hearing, frankly, can't be up to much!) - a fact which time and again the rest of the tribe forget, seemingly unable to remember how he saved them from one crisis to the next.


Ebony (Meryl Cassie)


Conniving, back-stabbing, ruthless and brutal, Ebony is only out for herself. Or is she? Love her or hate her - and for plenty of Tribe fans Ebony is their favourite character - Ebony is one of the most complex, and interesting, characters in the Tribe. It is generally far from clear what her motives are, and, whilst it is often tempting to assume that she is simply out for revenge, indulging petty spite, or just trying to grab power wherever she can, the truth is never that simple. Ebony feels that she has been betrayed or abandoned by everyone she has ever loved, and whilst we never know just how much this is excuse or a genuine reason for her behaviour, her absolute distrust of other human beings seems deep-founded and perhaps justified.


Zoot (Daniel James)


We don't really get much of a first-hand look at Zoot, creating an enigma, with far more about him we don't know - and more questions answered - than that which we do. Zoot seems about as far as can be from the person he was before the virus, and yet we see a certain inevitability of circumstances leading to where he ultimately ends up. Strong, persuasive, and about as misguided as they get, the world according to Zoot is one ruled by 'Power and Chaos', and yet there is a large and attractive element of self-assertion in his world-view. Perhaps, in the end, Zoot represents just what The Tribe is all about.


Danni (Ella Wilks)


When Danni becomes Bray's latest bit of fluff, she also takes it upon herself to change the Mall-Rats main aim from self-preservation to a sort of United Nations, wading into serious conflicts and attempting to bring tribe leaders together to solve their problems. Despite her noble aims, Danni comes across as self-important, opinionated, and frankly annoying. In fact, large portions of the fanbase have formed a vociferous anti-Ella-Wilks movement. Ultimately, Danni's drive stems from (misplaced guilt), and it is never entirely clear that she is an altruist at all, rather that just trying to sleep at night.


Ellie (Jennyfer Jewell)


Ellie is slightly self-obsessed, permanently stroppy, but ultimately benign. She sets herself up as a journalist believing that dissemination of truth is an essential part of the creation of a new world. Her (noble) integrity frequently finds her having to report the mistakes that her own tribe has made, and there is always a question of whether a free press really is a necessity, or even helpful, in a formative society. Often rules by her emotions more than is helpful, she takes forever to find the right bloke - and no time at all to find the wrong one.


Alice (Vanessa Stacey)


Proving that big is beautiful, Alice is Ellie's big sister, and deeply protective of her young charge. A formidable opponent (in the ring as well as outside), in the moments when Alice lets her heart rule her head, you wouldn't want to get in her way. Alice is older and wiser than many of the other members of the tribe, but in a way seems to lack the vision necessary to make her a big player in world affairs, and seems all too often relegated to glorified bodyguard, rather than decision maker.


May (Laura Wilson)


May is a born - or perhaps bred - survivor. She is a loner who finds it hard to see the view of others, and take on the responsibility that that would require, and she takes a long time to decide whether her place is with the Mall-Rats or not. Naïve, and prone to self-deception, May finds herself changing from someone who trusts nobody, to someone who trusts people rather too readily, and in the hope of finding love, or safety, or a family, she loses much of the survival traits that have kept her alive.


The Guardian (Damon Andrews)


The mysterious, driven, and quite likely insane leader of the Chosen in known simply as 'The Guardian'. He understands how to manipulate people, and the power that religion can wield over the lives of its followers, and will go to any lengths to make people succumb to his will. It is never clear whether he really does believe he is creating a new, peaceful world, and there are certainly strong hints that it is his right-hand man, Luke, that is responsible for the slight improvements brought about by the Chosen's otherwise oppressive, brutal regime, and that The Guardian himself is acting simply out a power-complex, or following genuine religious zeal, aka madness.


Pride (Nick Miller)


Pride is a member of the Eco Tribe, who leaves his home in the forest and living-with-nature to help in the fight against the Chosen. He does not, however, abandon his training, nor his belief that the future lies in harmony with nature, rather than the precarious balance that was once created by humanity's fight against nature. Spiritual, selfless and driven, Pride is sometimes less than honest with himself about what is really driving him, and on more than one occasion this results in a successful outcome of a plan whose main aim he quickly realises was not something he truly wanted.


Ned (Bevin Linkhorn)


Big, brawny, and only out for himself, it is often unclear whether Ned has any redeeming features whatsoever. He is a pig when it comes to eating, women, and even taking care of his younger siblings, Andy and Tally. Whilst largely distrusted by the Mall-Rats (and with good reason), he has a complex relationship with Alice, being in something of a similar situation to hers. It seems likely that he would make a useful member of the team, at least in terms of muscle, were he to fully commit to it, but this seems something he is incapable of doing, unable to stop thinking about number one.


Lieutenant Luke (Jacob Tomuri)


Luke is the Lieutenant of the Chosen, and the person that translates The Guardian's latest ravings into actions. Whilst he initially goes along with this, it is clear that his aims are somewhat different from those of The Guardian, and that he may have been wrong to believe that his tribe was striving for a peaceful world, onto which the Chosen have imposed safety for all. There is a deep struggle for Luke, whether he can give up the power to achieve this goal, and whether the realisation of this goal by any means would undermine the very thing for which he is striving.


Dee (Kelly Stevenson)


With a dodgy accent stuck somewhere between Northern England and New Zealand, Dee used to be a Mosquito, but joined the Mall-Rats in the hope that they might be able to resist the new threat in the form of the Technos. Strong-willed, and a real go-getter, Dee doesn't let anyone talk down to her, much less boss her around. Put in a position of responsibility, Dee takes her work very seriously, and always thinks about her duties before any opinions on what she might like to be doing.


Mouse (Jacinta Wawatai)


Tiny Mouse is the youngest ever Mall-Rat, but astoundingly eloquent and even often sensible for her age. Whilst she likes fun and games as much as the next kid, she also demands responsibility from those around her, and is well aware of the complexity of the situation around her, even if she can't comprehend the details. Always eager to join in, Mouse frequently gets herself into scrapes, following other Mall-Rats in the mistaken belief that she can help out, though, whilst occasions when she does are rare, there are some when she is just the right kid for the job.


Sammy (Lucas Hayward)


With the strange disappearance of Mouse's brother, Charlie, an older (but otherwise direct) replacement comes in the form of Sammy. In many ways more of a child than Mouse, Sammy is not the greatest of influences on his young friend, except to the extent that he is loyal, and cares about her a great deal. Impressionable and easily manipulated, Sammy doesn't always think of the consequences of his actions, and often causes crises which never just involve him, but always envelop the whole group.


Patch (Morgan Palmer Hubbard)


Nerdy Jack-replacement Patch knows all about computers, and this turns out to be the most useful of knowledge when the Mall-Rats are faced with the new technologically advanced enemy. Astoundingly clumsy, if there's something to be tripped over, Patch will trip over it. Twice. Seemingly flawlessly altruistic and kind, there seems no end to Patch's kindness and virtue, making his total inability to communicate with the fairer sex implausible to say the least.


Ram (Tom Hern)


Ram is the leader of the Technos. A genius, confined to a wheelchair, Ram turned to technology to provide an escape from his disability, though this still does not allow him the freedom he might desire, and he still relies on a group of close allies to help him get his way. Always playing his cards close to his chest, it is rarely possible to work out just what Ram is scheming, though you can generally be sure that it is a well-thought out scheme, with no regard for the people that must be sacrificed to make it happen, and no alternative but success.


Jay (James Napier)


With every duplicate of the Chosen, and every duplicate of The Guardian, there must be a duplicate Lieutenant, and it is Jay who takes the place of Luke, as Ram's right hand man. If something needs to be done, Jay's the guy to do it, though not without some consideration on his part as to how the objective should best be achieve, and even whether it should be. As with Luke, Jay is uncertain whether the price being paid for a new world order is too great, and whether Ram is really the man to do it.


Ved (Dan Weekes)


Jay's younger brother, and another member of Ram's inner circle, Ved is the computer programming genius, who, along with Ram, creates the technology which enables the Technos to achieve their objectives with such ease. More firmly behind the cause than his brother, it is often Ved who reminds Jay of his duties, and not the other way round, and it is frequently obvious that there might be a very serious aspect to this sibling rivalry, and that Ved might seriously wish one day to outrank his brother.


Java (Megan Alatini)


One of Ram's two wives, Java is one of the only people able to temper Ram's opinions, and one of the closest people to the leader of the Technos. Having a complex relationship with her husband, sometimes Java is able to get what she wants out of Ram, but at other times she is shut out completely. Able to look after herself, particularly with good martial arts skills, Java wields substantial clout within the Technos, even going so far as to issue orders entirely independently of Ram.


Siva (Monique Cassie)


Ram's second (concurrent) wife, and Java's sister, Siva too is in Ram's inner circle. Strong, but emotionally vulnerable, it is Siva who is most terrified by Ram's wild temper, and it often falls to her sister to calm her down. Siva, too, is a martial arts expert, and teaches recruits how to look after themselves. Whilst frequently straying from the party line in terms of how she feels about the Technos' activities, Siva is slightly less able that her sister to stand up to their husband, and is more often seen pleading than lecturing.

Names


Clearly the names by which the characters are referred to are not standard English names. Some take this to support the claim that the city isn't supposed to be on Earth, at least not present-day Earth. Other indications suggest, however, that these names may have simply been adopted by the children since the virus, as part of their self-assertion. Zoot, for example, was known as 'Martin' before the virus, and the frequent 'relaunches' the children insist upon, with entirely new hairstyles and make-up (frequently achieved in the time it takes to walk from one room to the next) are very occasionally accompanied by new names to reflect their new image.

Disappearances


In Tribeworld children have an annoying habit of disappearing. Lots. Major characters are written out without the blink of an eye, and they are lucky if anyone even notices they are gone. Whilst such disappearances seem perfectly plausible in a world without telecommunications, and with slow transportation at best, it doesn't really make great television.


Occasionally a character with a particular connection to another might mention them, irritatingly frequently, in a vague 'Oh where oh where have they gone' sort of way. Do not be deceived - even this doesn't guarantee their return - and more often than not boredom, rather than the return of their loved one, is what shuts these people up. In fact, as if a deliberate attempt to flummox Tribe actors' agents, trying to negotiate a good deal for their clients being written out, dead characters seem to have a better chance of turning up again in the Tribe than someone who has disappeared!

Album


An album of music from The Tribe has been released on CD. In fact, all the music featured (including the theme) were composed specially for the show, and sung by the cast. Hits range from the uplifting, ethnic tones of 'Abe Messiah' to the more poppy 'Beep Beep' to the sentimental, inspirational 'The Dream Must Stay Alive'.

World Following


The Tribe has a worldwide following, with a solid and largely loyal fanbase in many countries around the globe - particularly the UK, New Zealand, Germany and the US. Interestingly, the first series of 'that weird show with Australian children running around with silly make-up' began its first showing on Australian television in summer 2002, roughly three years after its first showing in the UK.

Tours and Gatherings


There have been a number of very successful 'Tribe Tours' to promote the series, with members of the cast visiting European countries and making appearances (and performing songs for the album) in shopping malls. There have also been 'Tribal Gatherings' where fans come dressed in the style of Tribe characters (roughly: anything goes), watch endless marathons of the show, and compare their Tribe knowledge with trivia quizzes.

tribeworld.com


The Tribe has an expansive and definitive fan-site with guides to the show, plot synopses, cast interviews, discussions of issues raised by the show, a fan club, store, and even fairly regular live chats with members of the cast. The site's bulletin boards are the meeting place for the shows many fans worldwide, and the fans that frequent it can answer just about any question a new devotee might have about the show. It represents a true community of disparate individuals, brought together by their love of an innovative, creative, thought-provoking and sublimely ridiculous television programme!

1Channel 5 has since relaunched as 'Five', but the old logo and identity appears at the end of each episode of series 1 - 4 of the Tribe

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A678332

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more