Recursive Laughter

1 Conversation

Everyone likes a good laugh - but even the funniest witticism, after provoking gales of laughter, loud applause, sighs of happiness, wiping of eyes, and desperate attempts to regain composure, must eventually give way to straight faces... at least until the next joke. But what if the laughter could be permanent? Certainly this would make the world a happier place, even at the cost of increasing the number of patients suffering from split sides.

But how to create this permanent laughter? Well the secret is to make the laughter recursive: that is, to make the laughter itself provoke laughter, which in turn provokes laughter, which provokes more laughter, and so on indefinitely. This entry prevents a few techniques for achieving, or at least trying to achieve, this wonderful effect.

Onamatapîßtaké

Onomatopoeia is a technique in poetry and fancy writing where a word sounds similar to what it describes. For example, in the word 'buzz' the 'zz' sound is similar to that made by a bee, while the word 'paparazzi' sounds identical to a bunch of tabloid reporters surrounding some poor unfortunate who has got their attention1. Onamatapîßtaké is an ancient Chinese art which I invented a few moments ago, and is not really related. But it sounds similar.

Onamatapîßtaké is actually quite simple: it is simply the art of having a laugh which sounds so appalling that it makes everyone else in the room burst out in laughter. The pin-up on the wall of every teenage male practitioner of Onamatapîßtaké is, of course, 'Janice' from Friends. But even if you aren't naturally blessed with a voice like Janice's, practice and discipline can bestow what mother nature has missed out. Alternatively, smoking like a chimney will provide startling results2. The simple art of Onamatapîßtaké turns into recursive laughter when one practitioner starts laughing in the presence of another. If both practitioners are sufficiently well-trained, the resulting cycle of laughter can last for days.

Once a critical mass of Onamatapîßtaké monks has started laughing, the only things that can break the cycle are heart attacks or John Major. In 1993, tragedy struck a remote Onamatapîßtaké monastery just North of Hong Kong, when the USA military delivered a laser-guided copy of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. In the investigation that followed, the President explained that the trilogy had been destined for the Iraqi trenches3, but the person4 in charge of the operation got the map upside down. The coroner ruled that it "was pretty funny really, when you think about it", and was subsequently stoned for bad taste.

'This is neither the time nor the place...'

When you hear the phrase above, immortalised by decades of Authority people5, it is certain that this is precisely the time and the place, at least for recursive laughter. This technique focuses on a simple idea: laughing in the wrong place is funny. Slapstick in a cemetery; stand-up in a stately home; mirth in a morgue; laughter in a library. The possibilities are endless, and a good croud of people who all 'get it' can carry the comedy until well past throwing out time.

But don't forget the temporal aspects - they aren't as common as the spatial ones, but can be very rewarding. Look for these tell-tale clues:

  • Periods of silence, especially if they're announced in advance.
  • People putting on their 'serious' or 'contemplative' faces.
  • Any type of music. Best if unusual and badly played.
  • Old people.

Laughing Men in the Sky

Don't look now, but the fat people in the sky are looking at you... and laughing. Don't worry, though, they laugh at everything and everyone. Luke Rhinehart, in 'The Dice Man', explains:

As I was doodling with a wooden pencil there came from above the street noises the sound of bubbling human laughter. The sound made me smile; then I realised its unlikelihood in the New York Public Library. I looked around. The old lady opposite me was looking with knitted bush brows at one of her pile of books; the three males at the other table seemed neither amused nor offended. Yet the bubbling laughter continued, even growing louder.

When I looked up, I saw very far away and high up a fat man shaking with laughter and pointing a finger at me. He seemed to think that my effort was the play of a silly fool. He also found amusing my effort to smile at the realisation that I was a fool. He thought my seeing his laughter at my smiling at his laughter was also funny.

My mind was filled suddenly with the vision of thousand of fat men6 sitting up there in that fourth dimension watching the antics of human aspiration and purpose, and laughing - not a single one sober or compassionate or pitying. Our plans, hopes, expectations and promises, and the realities of the future which they could also see: only a source of laughter.

Once you start laughing at the fat men laughing at you laughing at them laughing at you, then you can't be far off from recursive laughter.

1The 'papa' sound is created by all the reporters shouting questions all at once, while 'razzi' is apparently the sound of a million cameras flashing.2And if it doesn't, then you'll be too dead to sue me for giving bad advice3I'm told this bombing the Iraqis with Douglas Adams books makes no sense and is inplausable. In fact it makes no sense, and is therefore extremely plausable.4If I say 'man', then I'll be being sexist for saying that only men are in charge of planning in the US army, if I say 'woman' then I'll be sexist for saying that women can't read maps. I'll stick with 'person', and limit my crimes to anti-American xenophobia.5No authority in particular - it's amazing how similar the approaches of school teachers and politicians, to pick two, can be. I keep expecting the Prime Minister to shout "if the Full Independant Inquiry told you to jump off a cliff, would you do that too?".6they were both men and women actually, but all fat.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A654392

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more