A Conversation for Talking Point: 11 September, 2001

Twin Towers plane crash

Post 1

Afrael (keeper of angelic guidance)

Anyone heard about this?

Can't get into any news websites...

Af


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 2

Jim Lynn

We're watching the coverage here at Bush house:

Two planes crashed into the towers, one into each, several minutes apart.

The Pentagon in Washington has also been similarly attacked - possibly the White House but that's unconfirmed.

A couple of minutes ago one of the twin towers collapsed.

I've never seen anything like it.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 3

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Apparently the White House was just evacuated as a precaution... it appears that the state department building is on fire also... the south tower as low as the 30th floor has collapsed it is reported... possible explosion on Capitol Hill...no word on injuries/deaths...Grr! Damn inability to connect... I don't know if any of these have actually posted or not, apologies if they have...


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 4

Jim Lynn

The BBC servers are straining, so I doubt we'll see much traffic through to h2g2 this afternoon. I'm showing 22 people online - about 50 less than normal.

It looks like the second tower has collapsed. This is all rather horrible. smiley - cry


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 5

a girl called Ben

Impossible to know what to say.

Is it incorrect to admire the organizational skills?

But overall, I am more afraid now for the future of us all, than I have ever been in my entire life.

Praying.

Ben


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 6

Ottox

Sorry to say something though I have nothing to say...

smiley - wah


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 7

cafram - in the states.

This is absolute madness. Very very scary stuff.

747 just crashed in pensylvania...

Both trade center towers down...

Pentagon crashed into...

Car bomb near the State dept...

wow. It's surreal. In a very bad way.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 8

Jim Lynn

I haven't seen anything like this since the Challenger exploded. The whole thing is like something out of a Tom Clancy novel. Some of the footage of one of the towers collapsing looked *exactly* like a scene from Godzilla. If this were a movie, we'd all be saying how implausible the plot is.

They're now saying the plane down in Pennsylvania was shot down.

Bernadette's family are supposed to be flying the Saudi Arabia on Thursday. I hope they'll be able to extend their stay here.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 9

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Reports of a second plane heading towards the Pentagon, but nothing further heard about it... hijacked civilian aircraft... let's just hope it's finished...


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 10

HappyDude

I can't really add anything at this point other than to say that I am saying a prayer (which is somthing I don't do often enough)
smiley - sadface


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 11

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Reports of a second plane heading towards the Pentagon, but nothing further heard about it... hijacked civilian aircraft... let's just hope it's finished... no idea who's responsible for it all. Most major buildings have now been evacuated, which seems a good idea, just in case... reports of two more American Airlines aircraft down, unsure whether the original aircraft or seperate from the other incidents...again, sorry if this posts a couple of times... it seems they're different ones, Boston to Atlanta flight, Washington to LA...


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 12

cafram - in the states.

I'm hoping with all my might that this will stop here, but I'm scared that it has the potential to snowball into something huge. smiley - cry

Disaster brings people together like nothing else, so lets hope this has a happy ending.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 13

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Reports of a second plane heading towards the Pentagon, but nothing further heard about it... hijacked civilian aircraft... let's just hope it's finished... no idea who's responsible for it all. Most major buildings have now been evacuated, which seems a good idea, just in case... reports of two more American Airlines aircraft down, unsure whether the original aircraft or seperate from the other incidents...again, sorry if this posts a couple of times... it seems they're different ones, Boston to Atlanta flight, Washington to LA...


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 14

Mistdancer-X-sporadically coherent

Both towers gone.

Both planes had passengers onboard.

They just showed footage of people at the windows of the towers, waving for help.

My heart aches for everyone there smiley - cry

smiley - elf


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 15

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Well, things seem to have settled down for the moment... hopefully... latest reports are that, besides the aircraft that crashed into the buildings, United and American have lost two aircraft each... another building weakened by debris has collapsed... possible gas leak in the area of the remains of the WTC. Taliban (the most popular though unsubstantiated suspeect) seem to be disclaiming responsibility according to a statement just released...okay, hoping this posts, then going to bed... I hope I don't wake up to news of fresh incidents in the morning. Words cannot express.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 16

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

Well, things seem to have settled down for the moment... hopefully... latest reports are that, besides the aircraft that crashed into the buildings, United and American have lost two aircraft each... another building weakened by debris has collapsed... possible gas leak in the area of the remains of the WTC. Taliban (the most popular though unsubstantiated suspeect) seem to be disclaiming responsibility according to a statement just released...okay, hoping this posts, then going to bed... I hope I don't wake up to news of fresh incidents in the morning. Words cannot express.


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 17

lw - ck

Yeah theyve settled down a bit, but what about the reports of 2 missing planes? This is far beyond bad

smiley - sadfaceCKsmiley - wah


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 18

Orcus

To all our friends in NYC and Washington DC and those who have friends and family there I'm thinking of you -what a terrible terrible thing.
Not a lot more to say really.

smiley - cry


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 19

Post Team

May I, on behalf of all The Post Team, express my horror and dismay at events which have happened.
Unusually for me, I tuned in to CNN just minutes after the first plane crashed into the building, drawn by a headline which originally stated 'Earthquake in NY City'. Little did I know what would unfold before my eyes... nothing could prepare me for the horror of the scene and the ensuing events.
I pray that the last plane crash in Pennsylvania is the end of this carnage, and that all my friends in the USA are safe and well.

shazz smiley - cry


Twin Towers plane crash

Post 20

Hati

smiley - wah
Dragonfly told me that Shea is OK and leaving Manhattan. We have the other researchers from there, don't we? How is everybody?
I am scared. smiley - cry


Key: Complain about this post