Skin Cancer Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Skin Cancer

0 Conversations

Faculty of Medical, Clinical and Veterinary Sciences


Skin Problems

Human Skin | Dry Skin | Psoriasis | Eczema | Greasy Skin | Dandruff | Acne | Rosacea | Seborrheic Dermatitis | Skin Cancer | Non-melanoma Skin Cancer | Melanoma | Hereditary Skin Cancer | Sensible sun exposure

Cancers of the skin are the most common types of cancer worldwide. This is perhaps not surprising when you consider that our skin is being constantly bombarded by everything the environment can throw at it. It is over 200 years since it was first realised that cancer could be caused directly by carcinogens1 in the environment, when Percivall Pott made the connection between skin cancer and exposure to soot in chimney sweeps2 in 1775.

Today, excessive exposure to the sun appears to be one of the most important factors, but chemicals, viruses and radiation can also play a role in the development of skin cancer. There are also certain rare genetic defects that can lead to hereditary skin cancer.

Types of Skin Cancer

The three most common types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma. The first two are often lumped together as 'non-melanoma skin cancer', as their treatment is very similar. In addition to these three types, there are a number of other skin cancers, most of which are very rare.

Kaposi's Sarcomas

Until quite recently, Kaposi's sarcomas were only really seen in parts of Africa, particularly Kenya and Uganda. Today, Kaposi's sarcomas are associated with suppression of the immune system, either medically (such as after an organ transplant) or caused by HIV3. It is thought that Kaposi's sarcomas are caused by a virus related to those that cause herpes.

Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans

This name illustrates an annoying habit that dermatologists4 exhibit. Rather than working out what a disease really is, they just describe it in Latin (or Greek, or both). So, a Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a 'fibrous fleshy tumour that sticks out of the skin'. Which is true, but not terribly helpful.

Merkel Cell Tumours

Merkel cells are found in the skin near nerve endings. Tumours of these cells are very rare - only about 500 cases have been described.

Angiosarcoma

Another very rare type of cancer. These tumours are formed in the blood vessels of the skin.

Lymphomas of the Skin

Lymphomas usually occur in the lymph nodes5. Rarely, they can occur in other organs, including the skin.

1Anything that can cause cancer, from sunlight to cigarette smoke.2Young boys would be sent naked up very narrow chimneys. Their skin rubbed against the sooty brickwork, providing an ideal environment for the soot to act as a carcinogen. Chimney sweeps lives were light years away from the likes of Mary Poppins chimney sweeps who sang and danced and were generally very jolly and played by Dick van Dyke, just in case you were wondering.3Human Immunodeficiency Virus - the virus that causes AIDS.4And many other medical specialists, if they're being honest.5Part of the immune system, lymph nodes are found throughout the body. The ones in the neck and armpits can often be felt as 'glands' during a cold or other infection.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A618374

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more