A Conversation for The Alternative Writing Workshop

A87820356 - Impressions of Grenada

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Entry: Impressions of Grenada - A87820356
Author: minorvogonpoet - U3099090

This is my contribution to Create's 'Firsts' challenge


A87820356 - Impressions of Grenada

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

MVP----do you have any pictures of this visit? Also what impressions did you get of the residents there?


A87820356 - Impressions of Grenada

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

Yes, I do have pictures on our PC. I could look through them and choose something interesting.

Most of the local people are black - though their skin colour varies from coffee to dark. They are not descendants of the original population but of slaves who were brought here to work the sugar cane plantations. There is also a small white community, most of whom are quite affluent.
I think the local black community is quite conservative and religious. We happened to be in Grenada on Good Friday and we saw groups of smartly dressed people going to church, the girls all in white.

Most of the people we met seemed polite but I was certainly aware of standing out. I met a couple of little children who stroked my hair, as if they'd never seen anything like it before. I didn't feel any hostility towards us but I wouldn't want to live in Grenada unless I could do something useful for the local people. It would be uncomfortable being white and relatively well off in a poor black cammunity.


A87820356 - Impressions of Grenada

Post 4

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Well send any pictures you have to smiley - thepost email. Put a caption on them and give DG your user number.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more