A Conversation for The Alternative Writing Workshop

A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

Entry: Woman on a Bicycle - A25330925
Author: minorVogonpoet - U3099090

Some personal reflections on cycling.


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause Good for you. And don't let 'The Third Policeman' scare you off cycles.

Your comment about the guys in lycra reminded me of friends in grad school, who went on and on and, er, on about sprockets and gears and such things...they reminded me of golfers.

I can't ride a bicycle, something to do with my ears, I think - I have the broken teeth to prove this - but I appreciate the beauty of the thing.


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

Thanks! smiley - smiley

In the gatherings of knowledgeable cyclists, all I can do is provide the cake!


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 4

LL Waz

It used to be a three mile cycle ride to school, then three back, and twice more on Wednesdays for games. We cycled on the rough tracks where the road ran out, at weekends, and played cycle-polo with hockey sticks. Then at Uni it was always bicycles to get around. That was Hull, and when the wind got going there you could stand on the pedals and make no progress at all, or, if you turned round, put your feet up and ride the whole mile of Inglemire Lane without touching them.

Once at work, cycling wasn't an option and trying it again years later, I'd lost my nerve. On narrow country lanes, the cars were too close, too fast. The bike being strange, too high to touch the ground while sitting, and the gears being unaccustomed didn't help. Didn't help skidding on some gravel and falling off, either. I've never gone back to it.

My sister and b-in-law have about twelve bicycles between them though. And the lycra to go with, as does my boss, who can't be parted from his cycle and keeps it in his office.

Cyling to school, the outfit was short skirts ('70s), no stockings. To Uni, jeans with bicycle clips.

This is a nice entry. Some more on the early women cyclists would be neat, if you wanted to develop it. It's an interesting angle, it gives the piece perspective, but is almost lost.

Thanks for the read,
Waz


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

Thanks, Waz. smiley - smiley

I cycled to school too but no-one would let a teenage girl ride along those roads now, the traffic has got so heavy. It's sad.


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 6

mindchatham

I really enjoyed this piece, as I am an avid (although rather lazy) cyclist. You hit some great points right between the eyes, so to speak, such as your remarks on hills.*pant, pant*

The problems with biking in this area(I'm in the US) is that automobile drivers are inconsiderate. We had one incident when a woman on a bike got hit by a car when riding. I've watched my back since then, but the worst I've experienced is a car that honks.

Traffic is an awful thing, isn't it?

smiley - ok

MCsmiley - surfer


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 7

minorvogonpoet

My husband occasionally goes to Critical Mass events in London. These involve a group of cyclists getting together and cycling slowly round London. The police tried to ban them but a court ruled that they weren't committing any offence.


A25330925 - Woman on a Bicycle

Post 8

Bluebottle

An enjoyable entry that's a hidden gemsmiley - ok

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post