The Worst First Sentence

1 Conversation

A man in green with a feather in one hand and drawing a theatre curtain with the other

The Worst First Sentence

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a successful novel must be in want of a striking first sentence. But writers get their first sentences wrong – sometimes disastrously so. Instead of sentences that enthral you, they come up with ones which leave you bored or confused. The most famously bad first sentence was written by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton for his novel Paul Clifford in 1830.

“It was a dark and stormy night, the rain fell in torrents – except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the house tops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.”

When Professor Scott Rice of San Jose State University came across this, he decided that it was the worst first sentence of any book ever written. In its honour he established the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, which encourages contestants to come up with a sentence that could outdo even Bulwer-Lytton’s effort. The competition has been run since 1982 and produced some worthy winners.

Now we're sure that h2g2's writers are talented enough to frame some really bad first sentences. So we are inviting you to submit your efforts here and we will assemble them into a hall of fame (or shame). We might even give you the chance to vote on your favourite worst sentence. To kick the collection off and to honour the spirit of Douglas Adams, we are looking for bad first sentences for a science fiction novel. Don’t worry, you don’t have to write the rest of the novel. Here’s one of mine to start you off - it’s bad but is it bad enough?

“Grant concentrated hard as he stared at the computer screen, which showed a huge mass of brown filaments stretching across space in the direction he was heading, until suddenly the truth dawned: Flight Officer Jessica was combing her hair again.”

Poetry and Stories by minorvogonpoet Archive

MinorVogonPoet

17.09.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A57059698

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more