A Conversation for Talking Point: Happy Birthday to Us!

Save the Albatross

Post 1

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

I arrived on the back, or should that be stern, of John Ridgway's Save the Albatross Voyage 2003. Having been close to albatrosses and whales and other marine life during my seagoing career I am still concerned for their welfare and survival.

Having arrived, it took a while to get the hang of h2g2, but I enjoyed playing around with GuideML as I was doing an MSc IT at the time. I did bump into a less than welcoming personal space and that rather put me off but persevered and am still here.

What's been your most memorable moment on h2g2?
That is hard to answer but probably a debate with the mods over a comment I made. I can't now recall details but I wasn't very happy and boycotted for a while.

What's the funniest thing you've read on h2g2?
They happen often and clinging onto my seat to stop me hitting the deck with mirth is a regular occurrence. Mr Dreadful and Albert Ross had a series of adventures ranging from dubious clubs to the highlands of Scotia a wee whliey back that was very funny.

Who or what have you been most touched by?
Most recently Pheloxi's sad passing, even though I didn't know him and the 'How Do You Cope With Debillating Illness' convo makes one count one's blessings.

Has h2g2 affected your life?
A little bit.

If so, in what ways? Have the changes been positive or negative?
Positive, definitely. I've had a few tough times at work over the years and h2g2 has been conforting and kept me on a level playing field.

Have you met many friends on h2g2? Do they still use the site?
I'm a regular attender at Lil's Atelier and like to think we're all friends. My geographical location makes attendance at meets difficult. Attendance at the Salon, like all good clubs, seems to be thriving thanks to an entusiastic and sometimes firm handed hostess. Thanks Lil.

If not, which characters do you remember most vividly and miss most strongly?
Mr Dreadful visits less due to work committments and likewise Greydesk. I enjoyed his quizzes

How long have you been using h2g2?
I guess 6 years going by John Ridgway's voyage.

If you're a long-time user, why do you still visit h2g2?
Laziness pure and simple. Maybe a touch of class with the regulars, the wackiness, the anarchy, the science, the debates.

Did you think you'd be using the site in 2009?
Probably, I love routine, I'm comfortable in ruts.

Do you think you'll be using the site in 2019?
If it and me are still functioning most probably yes.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more