The Hangover Wobble Phenomenon

2 Conversations

What is the HWP?



The 'Hangover Wobble Phenomenon' or HWP is a disorder of the 'Wilcoxen-Oliver Blastosynaptic Balance and Level Enfold', A region of the brain dicoverd by Wilcoxen and Oliver in the late 1920's; more commonly known as the WOBBLE centre.
High levels of alcohol in the blood and tissue fluids that supply the WOBBLE region cause it to under-react to stimuli from the balance organs of the inner-ear. The resulting HWP is a growing problem in modern societies across the globe and as such has triggerd research by some of the greatest thinkers and drinkers from across the land.


Symptoms



The 'Hangover Wobble Phenomenon' or HWP, often occurs in the morning or at the time of rising from bed, sofa or other place of slumber after a good, though hazy, night out.

Whilst lying in bed awake one usually feels a slight headache or nausea akin to the normal symptoms of a hangover. However, there is usually no sense of a loss of coordination or impairment of vision. The HWP occurs when one stands from the position of slumber causing a momentary loss of balance, often taking those afflicted by quite some surprise. Often those afflicted have to steady themselves on a nearby object to avoid collapse. However as quickly as this loss of balance arrives it departs. It is possible that these symptoms could reoccur throughout the day everytime one stands up; it is, however, not often found to have any long-term effects.

Prevention/Treatment


With research it has been found that with increased concentration it is inevitably impossible to prevent the HWP. The only definite prevention is a reduced intake of alcohol. If this course of action is not viable then hand-rails/crash mats are a common recommendation.

There is currently no HWP medication on the market however some hangover cures such as 'Hair of the Dog' can help to relieve the symptoms (if only for a while).

Related BBC Links


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4116782

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more