Test your psychic powers

3 Conversations

A robot posing as Rodin's 'Thinker'


still under construction

Telepathy

Telepathy is the act of communicating mentally with another person1.

Zener Cards

Zener cards are one of the most commonly used tools in psychic research. While most often used to test telepathy, they have also been used in clairvoyance and precognition experiments. When they are used to test telepathy, both a 'sender' and a 'receiver' are involved.

Clairvoyance

Clairvoyance is the act of seeing things, places, or people using an 'inner sight' rather than the eyes.

Precognition

Precognition is the act of foreseeing an event before it occurs. When people hear the word 'psychic', one of the first things they think of is a fortune teller, her crystal ball, and the uncanny act of precognition.

Telekinesis

Telekinesis, also known as psychokinesis, is the act of moving an object using mental power alone.

Healthy Skepticisim

It's important view the results of any of these experiments with a little healthy skepticism. There are many factors that can 'skew' our interpretations of the results of experiments like these. Some such factors are:

  • For almost all of these experiments, the laws of probability dictate that you will 'succeed' at least some of the time. However, people are more likely to remember the trials where they succeed than those where they fail - this can very quickly add up to a biased perception of the success rate2.
  • Some 'psychic experiments' require subjective decisions as to the success or failure of the trial. In such cases, a person wanting to believe in psychic phenomena will be more likely to perceive the event as a success. This is one of the main reasons why experiments with objectively judged results are considered more valid by scientific researchers.

It's also worth noting that some areas of psychic phenomena are associated with somewhat stronger 'plausibility' - for example, more people believe in telepathy than do in clairvoyance or telekinesis.

Institutes and Organizations for Psychic Research

There are several research institutes aimed at the scientific exploration of psychic phenomena, some of which are located within well-known universities.

There are also several organizations aimed at fostering networking among parapsychology research professionals (and in some cases, enthusiasts).

Several of these research institutes and organizations publish professional journals, allowing members to stay abreast of recent developments in the field.

1Telepathy has also been used to refer to mental human-animal communication, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.2It's also important to avoid the all-too-common rationalization that 'The successes happened when I was concentrating, but the failures happened when I wasn't trying hard enough.'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A396434

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more