A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

Location Only searches

Post 1

Researcher PSG

Hello

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but feel free to cut me off if it has, but how about a location only search which searches place entries.

I think there is a good reason for this, immediacy for people who aren't currently researchers.

For example a person finds the site, does a location search from a specific box on front page (possibly with continent selection) and finds their home town isn't there, or somewhere they are familiar with. The response message which says none found or these are the nearest matches suggests if they are familiar with the place and its missing why not write the entry, mentioning registration and possibly helpful hints for place entries.

Just a thoughtsmiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


Location Only searches

Post 2

SEF

Surely the category system (including the new ones for ican) should do for that sort of thing. It is linked from the front page but <./>C42</.> seems a relevant place.


Location Only searches

Post 3

Researcher PSG

Yes, I'd thought of that. But as I say the reason is to do with immediacy. Psychologically people are far more likely to run a quick search than go through the category system.

Researcher PSG


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more