A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Design Feedback

The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 1

Recumbentman

1. I find the gap before the footnotes too small. You don't get any sign of having finished the main text. A horizontal line might help.

2. I also find the small indentation at the beginning of paragraphs unhelpful. It puts certain things out of kilter, for instance the statements in A2338616

Don't say optimistically 'It'll be all right on the night'.

Don't say pessimistically 'I'll never be any good'.

These statements are supposed to be on equal footing but don't appear in the same format, due to the indentation.

I hope this is the right place to voice these concerns. Good luck and well done smiley - bubbly


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 2

Recumbentman

How strange. I was looking (by mistake) at the unedited version of A2466100 and these gripes do not apply to the Approved Entry. Pardon my ignorance. I'm a newbie again, getting the hang of Pliny.

smiley - cheers


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 3

Pastey

It's not ignorance, it's discovery. At least that's what I keep telling myself smiley - smiley

In Pliny entries need to be marked up properly in html, Ripley was more forgiving. It could well be that?


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 4

Recumbentman

I can see how I got sidetracked. When I open the first page of my Approved Entries from my PS in Pliny, I get a dot to take me to page 2. Only it doesn't; it takes me to my unapproved entries instead.

http://www.h2g2.com/user/U208656/approved_entries/

misdirects to

http://www.h2g2.com/user/U208656/entries/page/2

(And yes, there should be a page 2 of Approved Entries.)


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 5

Recumbentman

And that link above takes me to the 'you typed rubbish' page which is not a pleasant destination either.


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 6

Recumbentman

And curiously enough now it doesn't; it takes me where it says.

But the page two button (and also the fast-forward button) on http://www.h2g2.com/user/U208656/approved_entries/ still take me to Entries, page 2.

What is currently bugging me is that my most recent Approved Entry, the updated Ukuleles one A241057 doesn't appear on my listings. (The unapproved version A87736486 does figure in my Entries list.) As I have moaned elsewhere, this entry is entirely my work and bears no relation to the original by Eliza, which was seriously flawed, lacking, and uninformative smiley - steam


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 7

Pastey

Milla's got a list somewhere for bug reports and feedback, I think it might start growing.


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 8

Recumbentman

To be fair, my Ukuleles Entry doesn't appear on old hootoo either until you scroll down to the end of the 'Approved Entries' list, since they are put in order of date.

(That's not very fair either, to a brand new Entry ... )


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 9

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I think that is a very good point Recumbentman, about the fact that when you completely rewrite a very old Entry, it appears with the original date. I know this has happened to an Entry I updated, which has a date on it long before I even joined the site.

There is a discrepancy between date first published, and date last updated, sometimes now of over a decade... hmmmm......


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 10

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I am ashamed.

I wasn't subscribed to this page...

Let me know if this problem remains, and I will log it now. If it has magicked itself away, that would be useful to know too.

smiley - towel


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 11

Recumbentman

The problem still remains; I can click on 'See all Approved Entries' on my PS and get the latest-dated 15 (which does not include my recent rewrite), but then clicking on the '2' or '3' or '>' or '>|' takes me to that page of Entries, not of Approved Entries.


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 12

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I don't have enough edited entries myself, but I checked your page, and have verified that this is indeed still broken. Have logged it.
smiley - towel


The look of Entries in Pliny

Post 13

Pastey

Kinda handy this page came back up in my conversations, I'm looking at that code at the moment, or rather it's high up.my list for a different reason.


Key: Complain about this post