Did I Leave The Iron On?

1 Conversation

Did I Leave The Iron On? by Greebo T Cat

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues'

Hello again, if there's any AmSports fans out there in Hootoo-land!

It wasn't a good week, to put it frankly. The steroids issue has again been raised, with Grand Jury testimony leaking out into the media (that's supposed to be illegal, too) that some of Major League Baseball's stars have used 'performance-enhancing' drugs, and international track and field stars are also implicated in the whole deal. Talk of gold medals being disallowed, all kinds of stories.

Ugh.

Following the attack of players on fans in pro basketball, and the baseball players demanding more money, more money while not policing themselves for drug abuse, besides hockey not being played for money issues, it's getting pretty rank. Makes me wonder why I even care, but, after 40 years, this ol' dawg still enjoys the excellence of sport.

Ah well.

So what do we have in AmFoot, where there is at least a semblance of drug testing?

Well, things are pretty much settled in the American Conference, with 11-1 Pittsburgh and New England, along with 9-3 Indianapolis and San Diego in the division leads, along with 11-1 Philadelphis and Atlanta (9-3) in two divisions of the National Conference. It's getting to look like an 8-8 record may be able to get in to the postseason playoffs, but there's still four games left and 'anything can happen on any given Sunday' as the saying goes.

Checking this weekend's schedule, three games stand out. One early, one in the middle and one late. (Funny how that worked out, eh?)

The early game would be the Cincinnati Bengals at the Patriots who call themselves New England, the defending champs. The Bungles at 6-6 have an up-and-coming young quarterback, one Carson Palmer, who pulled off an impressive rally last Sunday against a decent Baltimore defense.

The middle game would be the 9-3 Noo Yawk Jets at the Squealers (alright, the Pittsburgh Steelers). The Jets are headed for a playoff spot, and the Squealers narrowly escaped last week, also depending on a rally by THEIR young quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger1, in the final moments.

And finally, the late Sunday game (only Egon's insomniacs will catch this one) is Philly at the 4-8 Washington Redskins. Despite that this is the 11-1 Eagles at the 'Skins, this is another rivalry game of long standing and will provide some highlights.

I have this funny feeling that I may be snacking on finger food from noon to midnight Sunday, and there would be several Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters along the way. Ah, but that's what Sundays in near-winter are FOR, here across the pond.

So, sneaking in under deadline, I'm several, a/k/a random over and out to get the weekly lotto tickets.

Did I Leave The Iron On? Archive

Master B

with Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote

09.12.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1In Pittsburgh, eateries are serving Roethlis-burgers with varying degrees of extas, some sauerkraut, some chili; everybody wants to cash in on this kid.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3384209

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more