A Conversation for Design Sketches from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie

Is it...?

Post 21

Jim Lynn

They repeat it on BBC7 and the World Service from time to time, and you can buy the cassettes and CDs from plenty of places, so it's hardly an obscure programme.


Is it...?

Post 22

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

I wana know when theyre releasing the latest series on tape/ cd coz I think I missed one episode.


Is it...?

Post 23

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"smiley - biggrin How about right hand list in the bottom on < <./>/radio4/hitchhikers/</.> > ? "


Is it...?

Post 24

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Thats all very well except... I'm penniless.


Is it...?

Post 25

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

You could try your local library to see if they have copies of the tapes or cds. A very cheap way to hear them!


Is it...?

Post 26

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Yeah and then I could copy them and sell them for millions. MWA HA HA HA HA!!!

Or maybe I'll buy my own to go with my collection.


Is it...?

Post 27

ROBRAM89

The way I see it, (just an opinion, no need to lynch me for it) it is a book primarily. The radio series is simply a primitive form of it, if you will. It seems much more suited to a book, doesn't it? books are less formal, less linearly narrative. You're free to go off on tangents, like Adams often did. In a radio series, or television program, or film, you can't go on and on for a good ten minutes on such a subject as, say, various failed galactic currencies, for example. In a book, you can, and he did. It seems more natural as a book, so it seems appropriate to think of it as primarily being a book, no?


Is it...?

Post 28

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on the radio4 site
"And still I can imagine the on and on going story about monetary units even in movies < <./>/cult/hitchhikers/guide/theguide.shtml</.> >"


Is it...?

Post 29

Jim Lynn

"In a radio series, or television program, or film, you can't go on and on for a good ten minutes on such a subject as, say, various failed galactic currencies, for example. In a book, you can, and he did."

That actually originated in the radio series. Hitchhiker's is primarily a radio series, in the strictest sense of the word primary. You might feel it works best as a book, and I'm sure many of those who read the books first would agree with you, but it was originally conceived as a radio series, and as such it worked rather well.


Is it...?

Post 30

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

I liked it as the book more. The books been finished, right. The radio series just trails off.


Is it...?

Post 31

Smij - Formerly Jimster

As Jim said, as it was a radio series first, that's the medium I always think back to, even though it was the TV series that really got me into it all. The first two books are simply novelisations, and it has to be said, the first book really shouldn't have been in the BBC Big Read poll (even though I voted for it out of loyalty). The first radio series (and the TV series) have a proper end to them, whereas you have to read the first two books to get that far.

The first of the books not based on previously produced material is So Long and Thanks, and I think as a book it's the best of the lot. Reacting sulkily to reader demands, Douglas lashes out by creating a beautiful romance rather than continuing the adventures of Zaphod. Arthur was possibly the hardest of the characters to write for, being the observer to events rather than necessarily the catalyst for them, so it's nice to get a story that's all about him doing something for once.

I suspect the votes Hitchhiker's got in The Big Read were more to do with the series of books than just that first one. Now if they ever do The Big Listen for the best radio productions, HHGTTG should win hands down. It broke every rule in the book about radio production because its influence was rock music, not stuffy adaptations of the literary canon.


Is it...?

Post 32

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Does anyone have the 8 disc set with the special features? It has DA explaining the inspiration behind all the effects etc. I'm sure when I started writing this point there was some relevance in it but meh.


Is it...?

Post 33

MedO

AFAIR the radio series (not counting the new episodes, they don't continue on the original ones) ends with Zaephod and Ford being stranded on the planet of the ruler of the universe, and Arthur flying away with the Heart of Gold. Did I miss something?

Funny, IMO So Long and Thanks is the worst book of the series (not bad, simply not as good as the others. It's well written, but I don't really like the story.), and I like the last book best.

MedO


Is it...?

Post 34

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

How did it start again in the new series, I'm sure it didn't follow on.


Is it...?

Post 35

MedO

The new series starts like the third book: Arthur and Ford are stranded on earth some million years ago. In the original series this has already happend (episodes 6-8 or 6-9, can't remember exactly).


Is it...?

Post 36

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Ah I see. i'llhave to listen to them again soon some time.


Is it...?

Post 37

webbut

Its not the heart of of gold its the robot that says that the meaning of live is some huge number

smiley - winkeye


Is it...?

Post 38

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

That could make sense.


Is it...?

Post 39

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

so, this post is a little out of place, but reading back though this thread I just had to comment on this fact: Wowbagger would NOT be coming to insult multiple people at once. That was what he had to grit his teeth over. Come on! It seems pretty obvious that all the main character's names are not alphabetically sequential.

smiley - cheers


Is it...?

Post 40

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Well I'd be right near the top of his list.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more