Herbalism

0 Conversations

Herbalism is the use of plants instead, or in conjunction with, modern medicine. This practice has been gaining ground in recent years partly because of worries over the side effects of modern medicine and partly because of the re-emergence of paganism and witchcraft. The practitioners of these religions (myself included) believe that herbs, plants and essential oils all contain, as well as recognised health boosters, spiritual essence which can help improve the state of the body and the mind and aid healing.
There are many excellent web sites dealing with the mystical and practical applications of herbs and oils. There are also numerous books on the subject. One I have found to be very good is called “The Herb Bible” written by Earl Mindell. In this he outlines his “hot 100” herbs for the treatment of common ailments.
Herbs, plants and trees have been in common use for thousands of years and some of our most powerful modern drugs have stemmed from herbal remedies. For example Penicillin. This is actually a mould produced by a fungus, which is a primitive plant. Another good example is Aspirin. This is one of the most common drugs in use today and it is a chemical imitation of salicin which is found in the bark of the white willow tree. Willow is also known as “Witches Aspirin.” Penicillin is not just a recent miraculous breakthrough either. The Ebers Papyrus, written about 1600BC recommends placing a piece of mouldy bread on an open wound. 3528 years later Sir Alexander Fleming noticed that bread mould was an extremely potent antibiotic. His “discovery” led to the development of the drug we now know as penicillin.
Herbs have been around for a very long time and we are only starting to re-realise their full potential.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A328132

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more