Shakespeare's Globe, Bankside

1 Conversation


Just starting it's fifth full season of productions, Shakespeare's Globe is a full reconstruction of the Globe Theatre where Shakespeare's plays were originally performed. The site is also the venue for a major exhibition about Shakespeare's life, plays and times.
There are three main strands to the theatre:

Research

Performance

Education


It is located on Bankside in Southwark, London and is about a hundred yards or so away from the actual site of the Globe Theatre. The whole project was the branchild of Sam Wannamaker who worked tirelessly for over twenty years to first gain acceptance of his idea and then obtain funding. Sam did see the first timbers laid but sadly died before the first performance in the completed theatre took place.

The theatre is a unique performance space and whilst obviously far more refined than the original ( no urinal at the front of the stage for instance) is nevertheless a magical and unusual place.
For pictures and a lot more detail:
Shakespeare's Globe

Current Productions


The forthcoming productions of the new season are:

Macbeth

Jasper Britton returns after last seasons success in a controversial modern production - Macbeth absolutely as you have never seen it before. Some hate it, some love it, everyone has a strong opinion.



King Lear


Cymbeline



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A323731

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more