La Gondola, Adamsdown, Cardiff, UK

1 Conversation

La Gondola is situated near the end of Clifton Street, Adamsdown, just off the Newport Road. This café sits in amongst the typical local inner-city high street excitement of second-hand stores, fast food outlets, and a ramshackled branch of Woolworths. Despite its dazzling bright yellow canopy there is nothing on the outside of the café that would make you think of doing anything other than throwing together the words 'greasy', 'café' and 'spoon'. From its appearance one would probably assume that the food is also thrown together in the same careless, random manner.

Luckily, that's not the case. La Gondola is one of those rare examples of a cracking little inner-city café waiting to be discovered and cherished by those few that know of it (although, it has to be said, the place is often fairly busy).

The portions are huge, not just eye-bulgingly big, but the sort of thing where you might begin to worry whether the spindly table legs are going to cope for any length of time (or, for that matter, your own legs when you try to leave). Even though the café is run by a very friendly Italian chap called Tony, it's still in Wales, hence most dishes also come with a huge side of chips as well. A typical meal is ridiculously cheap - around three pounds - and that includes the Sunday Roast, which is the best in the area.

Put simply, La Gondola is a great place to grab a bite to eat in Cardiff. It may not look like much, but like so many things, it's what's on the inside that counts.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A295175

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more