Did I Leave The Iron On?

2 Conversations

Did I Leave The Iron On? by Greebo T Cat

Euro 2004 - The Post-Mortem

As it would appear that when I'm not here, then Shazz takes over the Sports Reporting in order to make comments about the state of British Sport, I'd better write something this week. So, my terrible predictions notwithstanding, here's a quick summary of the tournament for you all...

England: Started strongly, but Sven's wearying tactics began to show again in the Quarter-Final against Portugal, just like they did against Brazil two years ago. Sadly, the FA can't afford to pension him off and he's too arrogant to resign, so don't expect too much in the 2006 World Cup. Star Player: Ashley Cole.

Greece: Created a major upset, or did they? Look at the evidence - can two victories over Portugal, plus one each over France and Czech Republic really be down to luck? I think not. This tournament was won by solid defence, an excellent team spirit, superlative fitness levels, and a simple but effective game plan. As the Greek team contains few superstars, a lot of credit must go to manager Otto Renhagel. Star Player: Traianos Dellas.

Portugal: Started off very poorly, but recovered well and improved with every successive match. Home support helped to buoy them through to the Final, where the pressure and fitness demand forced them to pay. Figo is growing old, but his boots should be well-filled by Cristiano Ronaldo. Star Player: Maniche.

Czech Republic: Came out to play dynamic and flamboyant football - one of the few nations who did. Stormed their way through the early matches and were unlucky to go out to Greece. Star Player: Marek Heinz.

Holland: Not the terrible capitulation that many people predicted, but Holland were far from their 'A' game. The fitness demands on their ageing squad showed towards the end. New blood urgently needed. Star Player: Ruud van Nistelrooy.

France: It's an old cliché, but terribly apt: you cannot afford to be complacent at this level of football. The France team is packed full of overpaid superstars, and their pathetic attitude towards the game made them pay. Star Player: Zinedine Zidane (but only at set pieces).

Sweden: Played some unusually entertaining football early on, and are breeding some good players. Expect a good run in 2006 when they should be at their prime. Star Player: Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Denmark: A team built around one man; it will be very interesting to see how they manage after Tomasson retires. Were good defensively but unremittingly poor in their Quarter-Final against the Czechs. Star Player: Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Spain: The major-tournament curse strikes again. Spain were not on form, despite being run through with quality players. What is going wrong? Answers on a postcard. Star Player: Raul Bravo (somewhat surprisingly).

Russia: Are gradually transforming themselves from the bully-boys of their repuatation to a dynamic, passing team. Too gradually for this tournament though. Showed some flair against Greece but it came too late. Star Player: Dmitri Bulykin.

Croatia: A sorry shadow of the Davor Suker-inspired 1990s team. They were lucky to get drawn against England and France and were terrible in the final third. Star Player: Dado Prso.

Switzerland: Who? Star Player: N/A.

Italy: Were unlucky to go out during the group stages (THAT draw? Contrived? Never...), as they had one of the best defences of the tournament (after England and Greece). Their unwillingness to play the exciting football that made them famous was their downfall. Star Player: Gianluca Zambrotta.

Bulgaria: Dispirited after being mullered by Sweden, but rallied well to turn in a creditable performance against Italy. One suspects that there is not a lot more to come, however. Star Player: Martin Petrov.

Germany: Laughably poor from start to finish. Well I laughed, anyway. Star Player: Michael Ballack.

Latvia: Turned up against expectations and showed occasional flashes of brilliance. Bust-ups in the camp cannot have helped a team low on confidence. Star Player: Vitalijs Afstajevs.

Hey, bud? Ya heard of this 'Cricket' game?

Amusing sports story of the week. The venues for the 2007 Cricket World Cup, to be jointly hosted by the West Indies and the USA, have been announced. They are:

  • Antigua
  • Barbadios
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • Trinidad

Anyone else notice the problem? smiley - biggrin

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues1'

Congrats to Wimbledon winners Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova, and somebody should tell Maria that her cha-chas are on the internet. It doesn't look like she needs to wear a bra, except for modesty's sake. (I'd love to see the outfit Wimbledon wouldn't let Serena Williams wear.)

I pulled up some details of the 5000-person entourage that travels with the Tour De France, but my stomach must have celebrated my, Canada's and America's birthdays a little too much.

And speaking of that, a Czech brewery offered the Czech Republic team 160 liters of beer annually for life, had they won the Euro Cup. I wonder if the Greeks will get ouzo.

Right now, I need shots of bicarb of soda.

Coming up next week is Major League Baseball's annual All-Star game, as selected by the players and fans. A surprising four of the beloved Cleveland Indians were selected by their peers.

Over, out, and crawling back to bed.

Did I Leave The Iron On? Archive

Master B

with Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote

08.07.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1It appears that several a.k.a random celebrated both Canada day and July 4 with a little too much enthusiasm!... ed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2817759

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more