Mad Laws of the World

5 Conversations

So Long And Thanks For Laughing

America


Nevada
  • State Laws:
    • It's still "legal" to hang someone for shooting your dog on your property.
    • It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.
  • City Laws:
    • Clark County:
      • An ordinance makes bringing a concealable fire arm into the county illegal unless it is registered with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, but in order to register a handgun it must be brought in to the police station. Furthermore, you may not register a gun on a weekend, but the police can prosecute you at that time.
    • Elko:
      • Everyone walking the streets is required to wear a mask.
    • Eureka:
      • Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.
    • Nyala:
      • A man is forbidden from buying drinks for more than three people other than himself at any one period during the day.
Maine:
    • After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up.
    • You may not step out of a plane in flight.
  • City Laws:
    • Augusta:
      • To stroll down the street playing a violin is against the law.
    • Portland:
      • Shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.
Alabama:
  • It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
  • Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
  • It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
  • Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
  • Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
  • Unlawful bear exploitation; penalties.
    • (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful bear exploitation if he or she knowingly does any one of the
      following:
      • (1) Promotes, engages in, or is employed at a bear wrestling match.
      • (2) Receives money for the admission of another person to a place kept for bear wrestling.
      • (3) Sells, purchases, possesses, or trains a bear for bear wrestling.
      • (4) For purposes of exploitation, subjects a bear to surgical alteration in any form, including, but not limited
        to, declawing, tooth removal, and severing tendons.
    • (b) Unlawful bear exploitation is a Class B felony and is punishable as provided by law. -Section 13A-12-5
      (Passed in 1996)
  • Interracial marriages are illegal.
  • It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street if you have a lantern attached to the front of your automobile.
  • You must have windscreen wipers on your car.
  • You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
New York:
  • State Laws:

    • A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
    • It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
    • A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
    • The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
    • New Yorkers cannot dissolve a marriage for irreconcilable differences, unless they both agree to it. That rarely happens, since one party regularly says "no" to the other, or there wouldn't be a reason to dissolve the marriage. If one of the spouses says "no" to the divorce, the other party has to prove that the spouse saying "no" was at fault.

      Fault could be one of four terrible things.
      • If the spouse has abandoned the other spouse, that is, left the house for a year or if there hasn't been sexual relations for a year (how do you prove that?).
      • Another one of the four terrible things, an oft cited fault is to assert that the spouse has treated the other spouse with physical or mental cruelty.
      • This is usually the case in most deteriorating marriages, but for the court's purposes, yelling and screaming is not usually enough; pictures of bruises taken in the emergency room might suffice. Divorce will be easy if the spouse has been imprisoned for two or three years.
      • Much more difficult is the last fault, adultery. This keeps a lot of private detectives in business, since lipstick on the collar is not proof. It also means that lawyers get paid to "prove" fault, or on the other side, to show how lame the opposing side's "fault" claim is.
    • A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.
    • It's illegal to speak to a person while riding in an elevator and you must fold your hand while looking towards the forward opening door.
    • Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 P.M.
  • City Laws:
    • Carmel:
      • A man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
    • Greene:
      • It is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks when a concert is on.
    • New York:
      • Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".
      • It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing "body hugging clothing."
      • Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
      • You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
    • Staten Island:
      • You may only water your lawn if the hose is held in your hand.
Mississippi
  • State Laws:
    • Cattle rustling is punishable by hanging.
    • Horses are not to be housed within 50 feet of any road.
    • Adultery or Fornication (living together while not married or having sex with someone that is not your spouse) results in a fine of $500 and/or 6 months in prison. -Sec. 97-29-1
    • Vagrancy is punishable by either 30 days in prison or a $201 fine. -Sec. 97-35-37
    • Unnatural intercourse, if both parties voluntarily participate, results in a maximum sentence of 10 years and $10,000. -Sec. 97-29-59
  • City Laws:
    • Columbus:
      • The fine for waving a gun in public is higher than actually shooting it.
    • Oxford:
      • It is illigal to drive around the square more than 100 times in a single session.
      • Illegal to spit on the sidewalks on the square.
      • Motor vehicles are illegal on the square.
      • Honking of horns is not permitted. It might spook the horses.
    • Tylertown:
      • It is unlawful to shave in the center of main street.
Oregon
    • Dishes must drip dry.
    • The "Peer Review Statute" prohibits you from finding out details of any written or oral discussion about your medical treatment. Not even a court of law can. All you can access is what the doctor or nurse voluntarily records in your chart.
    • It is illegal to whisper "dirty" things in your lover's ear during sex.
    • It is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.
    • Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
    • You may not pump your own gas in service stations.

AUSTRALIA

Beer glass entering orbit from Australia
    • A life sentance is 25 years.
    • Children may not purchase cigarettes, but can smoke them.
    • You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
    • It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burgular.
    • It is illegal to read someones tarrot, or give them a pyschic reading as these are forms of witchcraft.
    • Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, your modem can't pick up on the first ring. If it does the ACA permit for your modem is invalid and there's a $12000 fine. - Telecommunications Act 1991.
    • Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.
    • Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.
    • The legal age for straight sex is 16, unless the person is is in the care/custody of the older person, in which case it is 18.
  • Victoria
    • Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb. The fine for not abiding by this law is 10 pounds.
    • It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.
    • You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach.
  • Tasmania
    • Until the Port Arthur Killings it was legal to own an AK-47 but not legal to be gay.

Sex Laws


The following are laws from around the world which, though a bit unusual, aren't really that surprising....
A packet of three condoms with a pair of lips and a strawberry design
  • Most Middle Eastern countries recognize the following Islamic law: "After having sexual relations with a lamb, it is a mortal sin to eat its flesh."
  • In Lebanon, men are legally allowed to have sex with animals, but the animals must be female. Having sexual relations with a male animal is punishable by death
  • In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman's genitals, but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination. He may only see their reflection in a mirror.
  • Muslims are banned from looking at the genitals of a corpse. This also applies to undertakers; the sex organs of the deceased must be covered with a brick or piece of wood at all times.
  • The penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is decapitation.
  • There are men in Guam whose full-time job is to travel the countryside and deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for the first time. Reason: under Guam law, it is expressly forbidden for virgins to marry.
  • In Hong Kong, a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands. (The husband's lover, on the other hand, may be killed in any manner desired.)
  • Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool, England - but only in tropical fish stores.
  • In Cali, Columbia, a woman may only have sex with her husband, and the first time this happens her mother must be in the room to witness the act.
  • In Santa Cruz, Bolivia it is illegal for a man to have sex with a woman and her daughter at the same time.
  • In Maryland, it is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a
    vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises."

So Long And Thanks For Laughing

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A249103

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more