Doom

2 Conversations


Yes, you read it correctly: Doom. Up with the latest 3dfx enhanced games, is the most highly placed 3d game since the age of 486 computers. Doom (suprisingly) is still played today, and has advantages over many currently '3d' games. I will show you the advantages and disadvantages, but first let me tell you why it is still played today:

Doom was the first 3d game that showed id's1 almost magical way of actually making it look like the other characters were in the game along with you. This ment that gameplay was believable, and therefore much more fun. The only other games that are not by id with the same feel that I have played (correct me if im wrong) would be Unreal. (If youve not played that, do!)


The atmosphere of Doom was unlike anything ever before (or after): The areas inside levels were brilliantly lit, with an exellent design behind them. The music was perfect, with each new score completely changing a level.


Another feature that I have rarely seen is what I call 'advanced' strafing.2This was the capability in the engine to pull tricks on your enemy with strafing. For example, it was possible to hide your position with the plasma gun (fired blue balls in quick succesion) by strafing slowly across to the right of your enemy, then running back to the left without firing, then strafe in a circle around your enemy until you are behind them. As you cannot see through the plasma fire you are able to appear behind them without them realising. (Very good, as some weapons will kill in a single shot at close range)


Oh, and the all important DeathMatch! Doom was the first game to properly use network play, probably the main reason for its longlivity. Many games are also unrealiable over a modem, but Doom will almost always connect, and will seldom crash. Next, the choice of weapony is incredibly well balanced. There are 4 basic weapons, and 3 heavy ones. Each of the heavys is equally matched (Yup, even with those who know how to use the bfg...) and anyone armed with a heavy weapon can be killed with a lighter weapon...


Doom saw another first in that it was able to be added to with ease, enabling players to add their own music, sounds and levels at the cost of a small download. Most games nowadays will not let you anywhere near the actual workings of the game. (almost all of id's games are exeptions to this rule.) The simple level construction means it is possible to create a level with a minimum amount of frustration, in a very short time, while it is still playable.

Ok, so Doom isnt all good


But what game is perfect? Doom does have a couple of problems that were made apparent by some later games:


Yup, it is 2D. Dooms level engine is actually two-dimensional, which means that you cannot have one item on top of another, or players running under bridges and the like. I dont see this as a problem. Ok, so gameplay can be vastly improved by 3d enviroments, but ask anyone whos played a good doom deathmatch, and they will tell you that it makes little diference to Doom, and some levels can be very deceptive. (If you want proof look for the Gothic2.wad collection)


The graphics. True, Dooms graphics are now somewhat outdated, as the textures will pixelate at close range. There are several soultions to this. Windows doom (Final Doom) Supports higher resolutions than the original version, and with the release of GL Doom and Doom Legacy, Doom is improving all the time. (As id released the source code for Doom, it means that many people can make a high standard of additions)

So, do play the new games such as Unreal or Q3, but most certianly leave a place for Doom on your system. If you've not played Deathmatch on it, please do!

1Id is the company that created Doom, Wolfenstein and the Quake games2Strafing is the sidestep movement so useful in many 3d games

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A242164

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more