Anglesey, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Anglesey, UK

5 Conversations

A reasonably small, green island off the north coast of Wales, Anglesey is about twice the size of the Isle of Wight.

One of the most Welsh-speaking parts of Wales, its historical highlights include:

  • Being the place which almost did not get ransacked by the Romans when they invaded Britain. Druids and mad women lined the southern shores by the Menai Strait, and shouted at the unwelcome visitors a lot to scare them off - a tradition that is carried on today, much to the annoyance of the borough councils.

  • Being home of the Prince's Court in Aberffraw for a large number of years a millennium or so ago, but currently the place is home to a disturbing amount of sand.

  • That a large number of ships have sunk in its vicinity*.

Frequented for no apparent reason by tourists throughout the summer, Anglesey is mostly made up of fields, trees, sheep, farms and a very small mountain.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A218468

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more