A Conversation for The Twelve Days of Christmas

It's quite simple really

Post 1

Mike A (snowblind)

How old is this song? Very old. It's just some ditty made up by some people. The 12 lords leaping and 5 gold rings bits are just things that would have been applicable in that day and age. Why not devote a big section to 'ring a ring o' roses'? Or some other nursey rhyme/folk song.


It's quite simple really

Post 2

LIB-

"Very Old"....hmmm, just exactly how old is that? 10 years? 50? 100? Or are we talking centuries here? I am told "really old" refers to over a century. "Some people"...do you have names? I find it curious why you chose lords a leaping and jewelry as your examples. Oh well, let me know when you compile your article on "ring a ring o' roses". I've never heard of it.
LIB-


It's quite simple really

Post 3

Mike A (snowblind)

1. 'Very old' meaning however old the song is.
2. 'Some people'=OK smartarse, do you know who wrote the damn thing?
3. 'Ring a ring o' roses'. Despite the fact that nursey rhymes are nausatingly nausating, I think I will write an entry on RAROR if no-one else has.


It's quite simple really

Post 4

LIB-

Ok, ok. Sorry I took a shot at you. I really was interested in the subject. Anyway, no, I do not know who wrote it, and all I get when I research it is the song originated sometime shortly after the 15th century in England and a lot of references like; 3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity and the like. Anyone? Anyone? Well, there also is a lot of info here: http://www.laughnet.net/archive/holiday/12after.htm

See ya
LIB-


It's quite simple really

Post 5

Mike A (snowblind)

LOL!

For my own view on RAROR click here:
http://www.h2g2.com/A182107


It's quite simple really

Post 6

Cavalier Mal Fet

Sorry but i can't help myself...
Ring a ring o' roses is actually a reminder of the black plague that spread across europe all those years ago...
the ring o' roses refers to the red spots you got on your skin, carrying a pocket full of poseis was sopposed to keep the disease away, and the all falling down part, well, you don't get much more morbid really!


It's quite simple really

Post 7

Mike A (snowblind)

You know, right above your reply was a link to an entry that I wrote on the subject smiley - winkeye.


It's quite simple really

Post 8

Cavalier Mal Fet

opps, that will teach me to cheak out links from now on!! smiley - winkeye


It's quite simple really

Post 9

Mike A (snowblind)

Checked out your homepage.
Bub, write something quick! Do a few guide entrys or something. Give me something to read!


It's quite simple really

Post 10

Cavalier Mal Fet

there you are, something for you to cheak...
thats for giving me the kick I needed!


It's quite simple really

Post 11

Bertie Wooster

According to the eastroman church, there were 12 people in the cortege who went to see the baby Jesus when he was born. The three wise men were among these twelve people.


It's quite simple really

Post 12

Mike A (snowblind)

CMF-I've read it. Pretty good. Takes me back to my first guide entry...
http://www.h2g2.com/A181748
You might want to take a peek at the bottom of yours though...smiley - winkeye

BW-Where did u get that from? I've never heard of that! Surely it would be mentioned in the Bible (god, how we were force-fed on that paperweight in primary school!)?


It's quite simple really

Post 13

Bertie Wooster

A famous Swedish historian has a TV-show going, and he mentioned this just the day befor I wrote it here. I read the thing about the 12 days of christmas, and when I heard him mention the 12 men in the cortege I made a connection. Not that there necesserily IS one, but still...


It's quite simple really

Post 14

Mike A (snowblind)

So, either you're Swedish or somebody is not telling me about intelligent TV programmes that I should be watching.


It's quite simple really

Post 15

Pog

Intelligent television? Are you expecting Richard Whiteley to explain this song to you?
As a slight departure, I was told the other day that Jack and Jill is not as innocent as you might think...apparently he was taking her up the hill for a bit of rumpy-pumpy. It might not be true of course but there you go.


It's quite simple really

Post 16

Mike A (snowblind)

Intelligent television = last year's Rex The Runt. Dang I loved that!

That reminds me of all that not so innocent stuff in the Bible. Things like Cain (or was it Able?) shagging his mum, Moses being inbred and Herod's daughter doing a striptease in front of him.

Got that out of FHM.


It's quite simple really

Post 17

Bertie Wooster

There were, in truth, a lot of dirty goings-on even way back then...


It's quite simple really

Post 18

Mike A (snowblind)

Uh-huh, and we're told that these are the people that are going to save our souls!

Oooh, I could wax lyrical about my views on religeon. Who want to hear them?
smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post