A Conversation for Talking Point: Euphemism and Innuendo

Embarrassing moment

Post 1

Woodpigeon

There is a game that is like Charades, but instead of acting out a phrase you draw it. I can't remember the name, but I'm nearly certain it begins with the letter P (Three syllables smiley - winkeye)

Anyway I was at a professional training course a few years ago, with consultants attending from all around the world. I was up on stage, and the topic I was given was the fairly innocuous title of "Vodka and Orange". Ok - I tried to draw a screwdriver, but that just left most people baffled. So I tried an alternative approach - connecting Vodka to Russia. I tried to draw the hammer and sickle but it didn't hit home either. So then, much to my eternal regret, I started to draw a picture of the Red Square in Moscow.

I drew what I thought were the turrets of St. Nicholas's Church (that's the one on Red Square, isn't it?), but as I was finishing it all I could hear were guffaws from the 60 odd people in the class. When I looked back again, I hadn't exactly drawn the turrets correctly. Instead of looking like Russian spires they looked like, well, take a look at the picture of the mushrooms on this page and you get the idea.

I nearly died of embarrassment.smiley - blush

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Embarrassing moment

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Pictionary! That's the one! (And it's 4 syllables)


Embarrassing moment

Post 3

Sam

smiley - laugh


Embarrassing moment

Post 4

Annie the Great

If you want to try an online version of Pictionary, go to: http:\\www.isketch.net.
smiley - smiley


Embarrassing moment

Post 5

Beatrice

Ah, that's brought back happy memories of rolling on the floor laughing during a University house game of charades....

A rather prim housemate tried to do a "sounds like" for Yanks, but couldn't watch and had to cover her eyes with her free hand as she mimed.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more