A Conversation for Why books get banned -or- 'Free People Read Freely'

GINSBERG SHOULD BE HERE!

Post 1

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

I personally think that any list of banned books is incomplete without Howl by Allen Ginsberg. It was a subject of a huge trial and everything. It's easy to see why, but the FBI still shouldn't have tried to stop it's distribution by seizing all those copies...

~Irving


GINSBERG SHOULD BE HERE!

Post 2

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

And don't start me on all the things that could not be published in the US during the 50s...

Personal recollection:
While I am not a very well-traveled person, I did make it to San Francisco. Unfortunately it was well after the 50s-60s. However, one of the highlights of my trip was the chance to go to City Lights Bookstore, where I purchased HOWL by Allen Ginsberg. I still have the copy. I then went to the bar next door and drank in the atmosphere of the place where they all used to spend so much of their time.

Another personal recollection:
Jack Kerouac's mother lived in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. There was a period in his adult life when he 'crashed' at her place for a year or two. The bar he chose to frequent was the Rustic Tavern. It still exists with [from the look of it] much of the same atmosphere as when Kerouac dropped in. I frequently drop in for a beer, and discuss Kerouac with the jack-a-lope that is mounted above the bar. [You can tell it is 'cool', man, 'cause it has sunglasses on.]

}:=8
PS and I completely missed Paris in the 30s. darn!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more