Pub Quiz Tactics

0 Conversations


The pub quiz is a feature of British pub life that is sadly underrated. Usually held in midweek or on a Sunday evening, it consists of a quizmaster, who is often one of the locals with too much time on his or her hands, asking questions of anyone in the pub who cares to listen or, more importantly, pays to enter the quiz. The questions are split into rounds, at least one of which is music, and usually players compete as part of teams of around four people. Prizes range from beer to cash.

Tactics


The tactics employed by teams vary from the happily amateur to the scarily professional. Your average novice will either only answer the questions they are sure of getting right, or will write down an answer to every question, regardless of the relevance or even sanity of that answer. The professionals will bring a number of specialists to the quiz who have layers of knowledge hitherto found useless in the bulk of humankind, like "how many species of archer fish exist in the Amazon basin". Specialisms usually include sport, animals, food, history, geography, literature and current affairs. The quasi-professional teams are often made up of people who always win at Trivial Pursuit and whom people dislike because they’re too clever by half.

The best way for the semi-serious amateur to play a pub quiz is to have a good stab at as many questions as possible, but not to simply write random words down on the answer sheet. Like golf, it’s far better to play a putt near to the hole and maybe get it in than to swing wildly and hope to goodness it ends up in the hole. Probably.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A195103

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more