Autumn (being reworked)

0 Conversations

***Article curretly being reworked at the suggestion of sub-eds***

Autumn is the third season, coming between summer and winter. Technically, it begins on the vernal equinox 1which occurs on 21st September each year. However, most people follow the idea that it is the time of year when deciduous trees lose their leaves, temperatures drop and days become shorter2. In the northern hemisphere, students return to colleges and universities. In the Southern Hemisphere, autumn happens in spring.

In America this season is called "fall", because the leaves descend from the trees, which is apt, if rather dull.***was called fall in Britain around time of Shakespeare***

The seasons are caused by the axial tilt of the Earth. Autumn comes at the time when a hemisphere is moving away from tilting towards the sun and is starting to look away and pretend, for a few months at least, that it's never really been good friends with our nearest star and it wouldn't give it the time of day if it asked.

Autumn is the favourite season for many. It is neither too hot, nor too cold. People like wrapping up in scarves and gloves in the fresh, bright mornings and kicking through piles of red and orange leaves. Bonfires are also popular at this time of year, especially in Britain where people use them to burn effigies of a traitor3.

The adjectives that are often applied to autumn are surprisingly similar to those used for lager - cool, clear and refreshing (but not cold-filtered for a more satisfying brew). Autumn is also used as a metaphor for the later years of someone's life.

1When the sun passes directly over the equator giving a day and night exactly 12 hours in length.2Luckily, nights become inversely longer.3Guy Fawkes, who was foiled in his attempt to blow up Parliament and the King. Only the British could gleefully continue with a tradition of burning straw-filled dummies of a failed revolutionary and call it good, clean fun.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A188570

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more