Teampall Caomhain Inisheer, Galway, Ireland

0 Conversations

1:   St Kenelm's Church, Romsley, Worcestershire, UK

| 2:  All Saints Church, Culmstock, Devon, UK |

3: St. Stephen's Chapel/St. Mary Undercroft, Westminster, London, UK |

4: St Giles Church, Imber Village, Wiltshire, UK |



5: Llangydwyd Church, Mid Glamorgan, South Wales |







6: St. Aldhelm's Chapel, Worth Matravers, Dorset, UK |





7: St. Mary and All Saints, Chesterfield, Derby, UK |


8: St Helen's Church, Bishopsgate, London, UK |



9 : St Elizabeth's Church, Stockport, Cheshire, UK 10 : Teampall Caomhain Inisheer, Galway, Ireland |


11: St. Peter's, Adelaide, Australia


The island of Inisheer is the smallest of the Aran Islands, a group which protects the entrance to Galway Bay. Windswept and stony, these islands are harsh places with very little vegetation.

In the 10th Century, the intrepid Saint Caomhán (pronounced Kway-vawn)came to Inisheer and built a church. (This elusive saint is sometimes spelled Cavan or even Kevin. He is not to be confused with the more famous St Kevin who set up a monastery in the east of Ireland.) The ruins of this church are still standing and are known as Teampall Caomháin (Caomhán's Church). Legend has it that the saint lived in this tiny building, eating nothing but limpets which he picked off the rocks of the coast nearby. It sounds incredible, but it is certainly true that all the ground around the church is buried in limpet shells to a depth of a few feet!

The church was built next to a sandy area, and the action of the wind over the centuries has piled the sand up until it now forms a mound, with the church set deep into it. All that's left of the church are the four walls, so you have to climb in through the open roof, but there is one other means of access: the narrow window at one end. Only about six inches wide, a slim person can just about slide in through it, and legend guarantees a place in Heaven to anyone who achieves this feat.

Isolated churches such as this were common enough a thousand years ago. The solitary saint would have lived his life in prayer and relied on gifts of food and clothing from the local people. They in return would have been glad to have a resident holy man who could plead their case with their deity.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A17595859

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more