Driving in New York City

0 Conversations

There is one basic rule for all visitors to New York who experience a strong desire to drive a car on the streets of the city -- don't. Driving in New York turns you into a mean, selfish, violent and generally upset individual even if you are a member of the Mother Teresa Foundation. If you are set on driving in the city, remember these pointers.

1. Taxi drivers are truly messengers of the Devil and will never admit that they are wrong. They will cut you off with the slightest of margins for error but will almost always miraculously fit, upsetting you and only reinforcing your belief in their infernal origin.

2. Everybody who is not in the car with you is your enemy. If you think of pedestrians as harmless, defenseless creatures who should be given the right of way, you're wrong. The best thing you can do for anybody who is walking in your way is try to make it clear that they are engaging in a dangerous activity by honking, lowering your window and screaming incoherently. All this while keeping their welfare in mind, of course.

3. If you see a police car, pretend like you haven't done anything wrong. The fact is, from their point of view, you are guilty you just don't know it yet.

4. If you are French or come from any other country with sporadic parking laws remember that parking in New York is regulated. More accurately, it is yet another means to frustrate the masses because there is an obvious shortage of parking. Plans to tear down Central Park and replace it with a parking garage are certain to be rejected by the city officials who want to preserve the image of the City That Never Sleeps by having dejected drivers look for parking into the wee hours of the morning.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A162596

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more