Smallfield, Surrey, UK

3 Conversations

The sleepy village of Smallfield is even less inspiring than its name. It's situated alongside the M23 motorway, although the only access is to jump from a bridge. It's situated close to a major flight path, and the conversation-stopping noise of aircraft taking off and coming in to land at Gatwick Airport means the residents have developed a habit of pausing every two minutes while they talk.

Recently the village was selected as a traffic-calming test zone and gates, mini-roundabouts, speed bumps, cycle lanes, road tables, and the narrowing of roads have all been casually strewn around the place, making the traffic through the village very, very angry indeed.

The India Garden was the only place to get a curry in Smallfield, and driving a take-away back over the speed bumps meant your meal will be well shaken by the time you get home.

Now the best place to get a curry is the Khushboo in nearby Horley.

The only local pub is The Plough, well known in the area for its over-the-top decorations over Christmas.

Smallfield also has a small collection of shops, including a DIY shop, post office, a grocers, a chemist and a newsagents. It also has two schools, two churches and a small medical practice. The moated Smallfield Place, a Jacobean Manor built in 1600, was given to John de Burstow back in the reign of Edward III.

Quiet Sunday afternoons in the summer are regularly disrupted by the sound of banger-racing from a dirt track considered to be a banger-racing mecca.

Smallfield is also the birth place of Matthieu Hartley, who was a member of the band The Cure between 1979-80.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A142237

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

go here to take part in the Peer Review process

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more