The h2g2 Bookworms Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworm by Amy the Ant

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

I picked this up at an airport recently and was surprised I'd never heard of it. At first glance it appears to be a story narrated by a young boy (who may have Asperger's Syndrome) about the aftermath of the events of 11 September 2001, so one would think it would have been reviewed or flagged up somewhere in the UK media. The author is American, so maybe more has been made of it there.

Anyway, I have to report that this is the first book to have moved me to tears of both laughter and sorrow for a long time. The person I then lent it to, who is nothing like me emotionally, was also deeply affected by it.

Oskar, the nine year old in question, lost his father in the tragedy. The book is told from his viewpoint but also includes narration from other generations of his family. Oskar's foibles are never explained: he may be on the autistic spectrum or he may be a child with an emotional burden. He may just be a nine-year-old boy who has certain childlike idiosyncrasies. No matter how you interpret it, his character is beautifully written.

The story follows Oskar's quest to track down the owner of a key found in his Dad's belongings. It takes him all over New York and along the way he adds to his photograph collection, some of which is reproduced in the book. A number of typographic features are used to good effect in the book, sometimes when the other narrators take over.

The stories of Oskar's family take us back to Europe just before the Second World War and touch on both anti-Semitism and life during bombing raids. Slowly we piece together the history and experiences behind the family that now lives in the USA.

I won't reveal any conclusions, but for my part I didn't feel comfortable with the final photos in the book. The person I lent it to didn't agree. The book isn't saccharine-sweet and doesn't play to reader expectations; it's definitely fun to read but sad at the same time. It's a pleasure to experience all the literary devices used but it takes a little time to get over once you've read it.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

JulesK

07.09.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A14133746

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more