h2g2 Post 17.07.03

1 Conversation


Posted: 17thJuly 2003

Editorial

It seems that the British weather is keeping to its reputation, of being something worthy of conversation.

I woke up this morning to an ominous rumbling sound, with my bed in the Lair vibrating wildly. Thinking absently that maybe I had overdone it the night before with those wonderful spiced doughnuts only obtainable from the small doughnut seller up the road from the Post Office, it then dawned on me that the rumbling was coming from outside. I drew back the curtains expecting to see grey skies and lightening, instead it was bright summer sunshine and a grinning face peering in at me from the road, as a large sweaty man, jerked violently up and down on the end of a Pneumatic Drill.

Yes, indeed, who would have guessed that 7:30am would be the best time for digging up the road, only a few feet from where I sleep. The Lair unfortunately only has a door and three windows facing one way, towards the road, but to keep the noise to a comfortable level they all had to be shut, causing a build up of heat only comparable to living in a small hut, in the middle of an island on the sun.

Fortunately, it seems that the men with their rather loud machinery seem to only work half a day, and they were gone just after mid-day. Just in time for the sun to start beaming its jolly face straight into the windows, allowing no heat at all to escape.

And now as the day draws to a close, the thunder storm that I thought I had heard in the morning has arrived, crashing and bashing, streaks of light racing to earth, and raindrops the size of, well, very large wet things that fall from the sky. It is starting to cool down at last and I for one am very, very grateful. I just have to hope that when I draw back my curtains tomorrow morning, the outlook will be less noisy and with far less grin involved!!

Finally, please join in the fun of the Summer 2003 Caption Competition. Every week for the next 5 weeks you are being given the opportunity to submit funny captions to pictures taken at the recent h2g2 Offical Meet - and win some wonderful prizes!

Share and Enjoy..

Greebo T. Cat


 
 
CARTOONS
 
 
REGULARS
 
 
FEATURES
 
 
FICTION
 
 
h2g2 NEWS
 
 
  • The Post
    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A1083629

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more