A Conversation for Tips on Job Applications and CVs

CV

Post 1

AngelicWitch (ACE)

Can you give me a list of what Iwould need on a glowing Curriculum Vitae please? Thanks

Andrea


CV

Post 2

JellyGhost

hard to give advice as each CV should be tailored to each job you are applying for. For excellent advice on CVs and general job search advice I suggest you read What Colour Is My Parachute. There is no right or wrong way to set out CVs and what to include or not include. What can work for 1 person for 1 job may not be appropiate in another


CV

Post 3

AngelicWitch (ACE)

smiley - smiley Thankyou for your help but I am seriously looking for a job that i really wanna do but it always seems my CV never seems to
look right!


CV

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Mine begins with name, addresss telephone, mobile, E-mail.
Then I have the 'personal statement', which is different for each and every job I apply for; taloured to that specific position.
After this I have qualifications, most recent first, with not much detail about each one, other than grade, name of qualification, and where I studied for it; though, when I've applied for PhDs, where the MSc and BSc are relivent to the PhD specifically, I've included a little* more info; such as 'modules covered', and the title and nature of the thesis for each.
After this is work experiance (which I have pretty much none of),
Followed by Referees.

I don't give Date of birth, marital stasis or any other information, they can't (in the UK at least), require to have this from you on application, as sex/age etc should be irrelivent.

(having said which, I've not been looking for work for a few months, and although I've only sent off a handful of applications, I've not heard back from a single one) smiley - erm Get someone to check it, preferabably someone who is a genius at grammer/spelling etc, and can appraise your layout of the document.


CV

Post 5

AngelicWitch (ACE)

Thankyou


CV

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

That last bit I wrote didn't make sense...
Shuld have been something like

'having said which, I've only been looking for work for a few months, and haven't even had a reply to an application yet, though I have only managed to send off and apply for about five jobs' smiley - ermsmiley - weird Hope it works better for you smiley - magicsmiley - cool


CV

Post 7

FordsTowel

In the entry reply on "Do's and Don'ts", it warns against using templates; but, if you visit the Microsoft site and create your CV from each of their resume template, you will have a better idea how to construct your own, what might go in it, and what makes one look better than another.

Then it's a matter of tailoring each for the job, and writing a cover letter to go with it.

smiley - towel


CV - including age/marital status

Post 8

Dinnerlady [The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom]William Blake. Top lad:)

I think you should include it - mainly because I subscribe to the "if you've nothing to worry about, why hide it" thought.
When I've had a CV that has had none of this information it has made people seem unecessarily secretive - like they're secretly a 78 year old disabled cross dresser or something who will throw the book at me if they don't get an interview.

Apologies for the facetious comment, maybe I have too much naivete about whether people are still bigoted or not. Never had that problem myself so I fail to see why it matters. Personally I prefer to put a photo on too, just so they can see that I'm not a one eyed crone & won't scare their customers away!


CV

Post 9

tyrone

I'm only intrested in your professional Qualifactions at this stage and will require all other information at a later stage. e.g. interveiw


CV/RESUME

Post 10

John Doe

Looks like just about everything has been covered but I would stress the following:
Finding out what the potential employer is looking for and matching your offer accordingly. It pays to do your homework before-hand researching all available info on the company and then writing the CV specific to the job. Addressing the job spec is a good start. General CV's don't have a competitive edge.


Key: Complain about this post