A Conversation for h2g2 Feature Ideas

Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 1

chaiyah

I realize from perusing this site, that it is huge already.

And having a huge human conversation site brings with it some responsibilities.

Other international sites operate 24/7 so that the whole swath of English-speaking peoples can participate. And in order to cut down on costs, those Forums and Boards utilize volunteer moderators, all part-time and usually older retired people of maturity and commonsense.

I would like to suggest that this human communications project would benefit from broader participation and fewer monetary costs.

Every group of moderators has its own unevenness. The fact that BBC mods are paid doesn't mean that they are more "even" in terms of keeping posters to the rules than volunteers would be, who do the work for the love of the work.

Please give this some thought.

Thanks
Chaiyah


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"< <./>Welcome</.> > to HooToo smiley - smiley

For what I understand of it the BBC can not allow volunteers to do the actual moderation, it is a logical legal reason.
The BBC is obliged to use external, qualified moderators. Just to be legally on the safe side, it is public money they do not want to spend in court after all.

As you perhaps have noticed this site is reactively moderated. Each posting stays unless someone of the public pushes it into the moderation queue. We have a collective responsibility to keep this site clean. "


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 3

chaiyah

That's not what the outcome has become : keeping it clean.

Verbal abuse is routinely overlooked and postings are censored and lifted on trivial grounds where no harm is intended.

Want proof?


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Hmm, actually no thanks.

You are free to smiley - yikes postings that break the < <./>HouseRules</.> >. And as far as known none of the postings that remained on site have caused real troubles. "


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 5

chaiyah

Really? http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F107134?thread=3132660&post=36279709#p36279709 I'm trying to find a way to work this out with SEF. No luck.


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit
"I have been following your conversation from the start smiley - erm

'Just because I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.'

We just have to accept the rules and how they are applied and smiley - shrug if not understood what or why. smiley - erm Often there is background information not visible to everyone. And I do not really want to know everything that goes on on the sites. "


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 7

chaiyah

Precisely so.

This is why--after months of being taken apart thought-by-thought--I brought the dialogue between SEF and myself into a private domain, so it would not continue to contaminate and spoil whatever conviviality we have achieved in the R&E Board.

And I'm not sure how to proceed at this point; because I am still nothing but despicable and contemptible in SEF's sight.

Every reply coming at me is a diatribe of invective.

Any suggestions?

Emily


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 8

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit a little curious on what site the previous posting will end up smiley - biggrin
"Be nice to everyone, try to make every posting a little positive.
You do not have to be friends with everyone, we do not have an automated ignore function, but a little dicipline can get you far smiley - smiley.

Ah, you are a member of the Religian board smiley - ok"


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 9

chaiyah

Yeah.

When I was gone for a week and came back, that Board was dead.

So on Monday when I returned I brought up some interesting ideas, and everybody jumps on my case as if I'm not supposed to ask them to actually think. The outcome, the R&E Board is now jumping, once more.

I'm a little puzzled about the expectations I need to fulfill, there, especially in light of constant and continual ridicule from SEF--nonstop.

Emily




Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 10

SEF

> "I'm trying to find a way to work this out with SEF."

No you're not. You came over to h2g2 to troll because the mbreligion sub-site was closed for the UK night (and other sites have banned you). You even inadvertently admitted this! Whereas, any genuine attempt to "work this out" would begin with *you* telling the truth and not attacking and defaming people.


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 11

SEF

... and for chaiyah's real opinion of mods and the BBC = F2213237?thread=3077099&skip=20#p36314819
(NB The assertions about quotes, links and "logical" argument are untrue.)


Hours for a Multinational Board

Post 12

chaiyah

Apparently I am SEF's personal scapegoat, to be vilified wherever I go.

Okay. Let's see how far this personal issue goes.

Emily



Key: Complain about this post