A Conversation for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Some more fun stuff to do in Edmonton

Post 1

Researcher 237165

There is always the mid - July celebration of Klondike Days, a fair based on the Klondike Gold Rush that is run out of the Northlands Grounds and the Agricom, just South of the SkyReach Cerntre >Coliseum< and across 118th Avenue by a walking bridge. Gate admission for the year 2003 was $7.00 per adult. There is a feature gallery in one of three halls of the Agricom >on the Northlands Grounds< and one country or area of the world is showcased every year >Scandinavia for instance<. The Telus Stage right in front of the Agricom is host to a number of musical or entertainment acts. There is a full functioning Midway and games of chance. There is horseracing at the Spectrum Track, also on the Northlands grounds. There are fireworksw every day of the fair, starting at 11:00 pm. It runs from the third Thursday in July, to the second Saturday following it. Best food on the Midway: Mini donuts.


Some more fun stuff to do in Edmonton

Post 2

anhaga

Thanks for bringing more attention to Klondike Days, 237165. The festival is already mentioned in the entry and the link to Northlands Park takes care of linking to Klondike Days, Horse Racing, Farm Fair, etc.

A sad thing about Klondike Days is that, historically, very few gold rushers actually went to the Klondike through Edmonton. It was a dream of merchants at the time of the gold rush to have Edmonton as a jumping off point, but the overland route to the north was just so much harsher and more time consuming than the water route up the Pacific coast that it never really caught on.

Another sad thing is that what used to be a citywide celebration of (erroneous) civic history is now largely confined to the midway rides of Northlands Park and is overshadowed by the terribly busy festival season.

Personally, I'd much rather spend my time at Fort Edmonton Park to get a taste of the real history of Edmonton. But I do know that many enjoy the thrill of the rides and I'm glad you brought more attention to Klondike Days. smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Some more fun stuff to do in Edmonton

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more