Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA

1 Conversation

An antler arch at Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Jackson Hole is a valley in the northwest of the state of Wyoming, USA and quite possibly one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is surrounded by National Forests, the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park lies 50 miles to the north and Grand Teton National Park occupies the western half of the valley, along with the mountains after which the park is named. Jackson Lake is in the northern part of the valley and the town of Jackson is at the southern end.

Jackson What?

Jackson Hole got its obscure name from the early fur-trappers who entered the region from the north. They had to descend into the valley along relatively steep slopes, the overall sensation of of which is like entering a large hole. The Jackson part is related to the nearby town, lakes and just about anything else in the region (like stray elks or beavers) that received monikers in honour of 'Davey' Edward Jackson, an early 19th Century 'mountain man'. Though used by Native Americans for hunting and ceremonial purposes, the valley was not known to contain any settlements prior to the 1870s.

Descriptions of the valley and its features were recorded in the journals of John Colter, who had been a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. After returning to the Rocky Mountains, Colter entered the region in 1806 along the Togwotee Pass. His reports of the valley, the Teton Range and of the Yellowstone region to the north were viewed by people of the day with scepticism, not believing the 'wilderness' could be so beautiful.

Why Visit the Hole?

The average altitude of the valley is over 6,500 feet, making Jackson Hole a very popular destination for alpine skiers, but trailheads for hiking, backpacking and horse riding are also located in the immediate surroundings. The Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Grand Targhee ski areas and nearby Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are major tourist attractions all year round. The National Elk Refuge limits all expansion or development of the land, therefore preserving the beauty. The numerous elk use the valley as grazing range during the winter and the site of these magnificent creatures is well worth the trip. Because of the wildlife in the area, Jackson Hole also holds the annual Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, where documentary makers come to show off their footage and win awards.

The Teton Village (located ten miles north of town) is a ski resort that is renowned for its variety of terrain along with the surrounding backcountry. Although ticket prices are steep (along with parking fees), carpooling is free (three or more). Plus the attendants of the parking lots and the lifts have been known to 'barter'...1. Sleigh rides are also offered to tourists, but again the cost may not be worth your while.

Up the Piste...

Night life consists of drinking, drinking, and more drinking. It's also a filthy-rich area, infested with trustfund babies and 'Illuminati' types, along with people who enjoy the isolation, outdoors, skiing and all the other wonderful stuff that people tend to love and hate about mountain towns in the middle of nowhere. This may include the inevitable cold weather, arrogant visitors, strange local traditions, poor heating, chains for your car, snowball fights and weird smells.

Budget Accomodation

If it's summer, bring a jacket, a sleeping bag and a tent with a rain cover rather than booking a hotel (very expensive) as the camping is close, convenient and well worth it. If it's winter, bring lots of money or pre-arrange a job and a warm place to stay, because it gets really cold. The high altitude and steep mountain slopes on all sides of the valley often cause ordinary calm winter nights to be very cold. Being on the continental divide, snowfall can reach up to 12 feet - in the winter of 1993, the morning low temperature got down to -48°C (-56°F)! Thermals are a must!

Down the Hole

There are a number of ways of getting to Jackson Hole. Some domestic airlines serve Jackson Hole Airport (JAC) with most connections from Salt Lake City, Denver and Chicago, though select direct flights are available from other centres. You disembark all planes with a short walk to the terminal, so if visiting in the winter dress accordingly! A shuttlebus is available from the airport to the Hole.

A regular bus service runs to Jackson Hole from Salt Lake City and while staying in the valley, a good public transport system called the START Bus (Southern Teton Area Rapid Transit) is a cheap and efficient way of travelling around.

If you want to get to the valley by road, follow the Interstate-15 from Salt Lake City or alternatively follow the Interstate-80 from Rock Springs, Wyoming. You then have the choice of driving along the Wind River Range or Snake River Canyon to the US-191, then into Jackson on Highway-22. This can be done either in your own vehicle or by hitchhiking (this isn't recommended, you might end up somewhere you don't actually really want to be).

Further Information

For more on the 'Hole'.

Our thanks to Tav's Dad for the photograph.

1This isn't the only ski resort in the United States where bartering still exists, illegal or not.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A9565581

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more