A Conversation for Wikipedia

Can this be Updated?

Post 1

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Is there an author who can do an update on this (I'm not sure im knowledgable on this to do it myself)

Though i must say, we can of course trust whatever is said on h2g2, and thats on the web smiley - biggrin


Can this be Updated?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I think we'd need somebody who is into all the politics about what's acceptable on Wikipedia, rather than just a casual updater like myself. It's getting to the stage where nobody dares update anything there because they know it will be just deleted.


Can this be Updated?

Post 3

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Yeah i can agree with that, particurarly with the original/non-original research differences


Can this be Updated?

Post 4

myk

Can someone fix the typos?

While only samll typos, it's embaressing reading a small article like this which is critical of the quality of Wikipedia content, but has some glaring typos itself. Also the article on Wikipedia (which links to this guide entry), is a much better entry about Hootoo - with no glaring mistakes. I just read the Wikipedia entry and at the end, just where it should be was the link to H2G2's own entry on Wikipedia (which i followed to come here).
Wikipedia has a very consistant level of professionalism that we would do well to follow i think! Just my smiley - 2cents


Can this be Updated?

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

If you point out the typos, I can fix them.


Can this be Updated?

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Well, I've had a quick read through it and there are no glaring errors. But I'll gladly fix any minor typos if you point them out.


Can this be Updated?

Post 7

myk

Well like i said it was only a couple of small things that caught my eye. Sorry if i sounded negeative toward the actual entry itself, because it is a good informative entry about wikipedia.

Ok:
Second sentence:
"It has been in operation since January 2001 and and..." double "and" easy to miss!

The next is a possible missing punctuation mark:
"A major difference between Wikipedia and h2g2 is that with Wikipedia there is no central control. " I feel there should be a comma after " h2g2" what do you think, i find it hard to read without a pause?

They just jumped out at me. I think the wikipedia entry was written maybe by a h2g2 user, it has it all there.
Wikipedia has got much stricter so i have heard. Maybe it would be good to include an example or two of entries that have been pulled (there must be a few famous ones) and entires that they will not except?


Can this be Updated?

Post 8

myk

Sorry for my typos too! smiley - smiley


Can this be Updated?

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

I've fixed the double 'and'. I don't feel that a comma would help in that sentence, but I'll consider a rewording of the sentence to make it work better. Not now as it is after midnight... I try and do it tomorrow.

I think the Wikipedia entry on h2g2 was started by a guy called Lucinda / My Red Dice, who left h2g2 and went to Wikipedia. It's been tweaked by many hootooers over the years, including by myself.


Can this be Updated?

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I've rewritten the sentence you didn't like.


Can this be Updated?

Post 11

myk

Excellent! It is a great entry; the typo was just a bit of fluff sitting on it's nose.

smiley - smiley


Can this be Updated?

Post 12

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool Old Guy smiley - cogs greased and ready for a party
"Better do not update the wiki Entry.

Stumbled upon the h2g2 article on wikipedia. smiley - weird

I have had a terribly bad few days, first seeing a half nosense article half repeating itself.
Started by checking the links, all broken or malformed at best. Restored them, added some content (the __italics and __clubs and societies were still a header no real content)

Get a first level Warning about not using cites and references.
Call in both this editor and the gnoom who scrapped the bulk. Ask them to help at the TALK page.
While I was in simposting with the Warner the other one just ruined the rest of the entry behind my back.

One of the things I noticed is that wikipedia no longer supports Wiketiquette, apparently their editors have it deleted too.


1 HooToo is not just an Encyclopedia
it is also a social media website as well as a community website.

2 The fact the Italics and Team have only promoted this site as some kind of encyclopedia, not comparable (amongs other things in size) with wiki kept any newspaper or most scientific paper from referring to the site as a social media site.

smiley - sadface"


Can this be Updated?

Post 13

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Wiki is definitely increasingly hostile, with fewer and fewer editors holding an increasing amount of power (for a supposedly free to edit site)


Can this be Updated?

Post 14

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool Old Guy smiley - cogs on his head
"I have created some entries with my adventures overthere.
Please report any 'respectable 3rd party sources' if you can find them. smiley - sadface


Admitted, I was eventually not very friendly either."


Can this be Updated?

Post 15

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

For collecting evidence HooToo does exist
< A87852838 > Reliable third party sources about HooToo for wiki

smiley - sorry 'Gnomon' for completely hacking your thread about updating your Entry. "


Key: Complain about this post