A Conversation for English Pub Names

Pub name joke

Post 1

The Pink Dandelion (Taraxacum non-officinale) - Keeper of the Shrubbery

Well, more a curiosity than a joke really...

How do you get "and" into a sentence five times consecutively, without being grammatically incorrect?

Can't be done?

Well..........

Roger, the owner of the Dog and Duck, needed a new pub sign to replace his cracked, peeling one. So, he called up Dave, the sign painter, and asked him to do a nice picture of a hunting dog with a limp, recently expired duck in its jaws, with "Dog and Duck" in nice big squirly letters forming an arc over the top. A couple of days later, Dave turns up on the door of the Dog with a freshly-painted sign under his arm. He hands it to Roger, who observes it critically. "The picture's great", he says, "but you're going to have to do the lettering again". Dave's a bit disgruntled, but he agrees to change it (and resolves to charge extra for the increased paint usage) but he wants to know what's wrong with it.
"Ah," says Roger, "you've left too big a gap between Dog and and and and and Duck."


Pub name joke

Post 2

Simonus

sorry, i just dont get it!


Pub name joke

Post 3

SeedNotHerd

Reminds me of a lovely sentence that occurs in one of Anthony Burgess's novels:

'She breathed (though a young lady should not eat, because of the known redolence of onions, onions) onions.'


Pub name joke

Post 4

Olaf K Foddaman

Surely this means that the pub is called The Dog And And Duck?


Pub name joke

Post 5

Simonus

aaah i think ive worked it out... hes used another 'and' instead of a comma or pause...

Dog and and and and and Duck

dog and and, and, duck..

hum, i had it all worked out a minuite ago... hum, i recon what hes done is this. eg when you say a list of things, you dont say i bought a carrot and a cucumber and a fish and.... etc. this is what the bloke in the joke has done.

or something like that anyway...


Pub name joke

Post 6

Simonus

actually, thinking of it, he could just have a stutter....

that would also make sence.. although im not too sure of the gramatically correct bit...


Pub name joke

Post 7

Dubba

It's "Dog and 'and' and 'and' and Duck". (The 'and' being part of the sign).

I think.


Pub name joke

Post 8

The Pink Dandelion (Taraxacum non-officinale) - Keeper of the Shrubbery

Dubba has it correct. The spaces are between the three words on the sign -- "Dog" "and" and "duck" -- and we're talking about the distance between "Dog" and "and", and "and" and "duck". I think it's grammatically correct, but I'm only a journalist, and you can't trust us on syntax questions!


Pub name joke

Post 9

Simonus

hmmm seems to have lost its halarity after having to work it all out somehow. perhaps it should go under the appauling jokes section - anyone written one yet? :P


Pub name joke

Post 10

The Pink Dandelion (Taraxacum non-officinale) - Keeper of the Shrubbery

I feel offended...and yet somehow validated by this conversation. Thank you for your time.


11 Times

Post 11

Reddy Freddy

Here's another, that uses the same word eleven times consecutively. It describes two pieces of written work being marked by an English teacher:

David, where John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the approval of the teacher.

Can anyone top that?


Key: Complain about this post